Ferrari 288 GTO

G

GavinT

Like the Lamborghini in my other thread, this is a Burago 1/18 scale model, bought for peanuts off the internet. I knew it was a bit battered when I bought it, that was the whole point so I could restore it, but it proved to be a bit more of a challenge than other similar models I've done before.

I know some of Burago's models are not perfect, but you can see in the first couple of photos where the original paint finish hasn't reached inside the doors or bonnet, plus there's a lot of black paint detailing missing from around the car.

First job was to strip it down, clean all the smaller parts and sand and prep the main body for paint. Whilst taking it apart I discovered the drivers side upper wishbone was missing from the suspension assembly, meaning the front wheel wouldn't sit right giving the model a wonky stance.

Once sanded down properly and a couple of rough casting marks were smoothed out, the body was painted in a red primer (Halfords car spray paint -works well on diecast), fine sanded and then finished in Ford Radiant Red. It's the closest I could find to Ferrari red without forking out silly expense for the real thing. Once it had dried for a couple of days I added in all the missing black detailing, around the windscreen and A pillars, the black waistline and side vents.

The interior was a mismatch of cream dash, seats and door cards with a grey floor, so I downloaded a couple of photos from the net of a real GTO's interior and copied the colours to my model, the same thing was done for the engine and front boot compartment.

The last few touches were added, the front indicators and sidelights that were not painted in on the original model, the rear lights were given their proper colour and a couple of blank number plates put on -soon to be replaced with GB lettered ones, and the body was finished.

To repair the front suspension I hunted around in my spare parts bin and found a wishbone from a less fortunate 1/18 car, cut and trimmed it so it fit and allowed the wheel to sit properly and cemented it in place. OK so it's different to the other side, but with the whole car reassembled you can't see it so I don't see as it matters.

The car is finished for now but I'm still not 100% happy. The wheels are wrong so I'm currently scouring the net to hunt down some Burago 1/18 Ferrari F40 items, plus the Ferrari badges/logos are missing so I'm on the hunt for some of those too.

View attachment 29801

View attachment 29802

View attachment 29803

View attachment 29804

View attachment 29805

View attachment 29806

View attachment 29807

View attachment 29808

View attachment 29809

View attachment 29810

View attachment 29811

View attachment 29812

View attachment 29813

View attachment 29814

View attachment 29815

View attachment 29816

View attachment 29817

View attachment 29818

View attachment 29819

View attachment 29820

View attachment 29821

View attachment 29822

1 (13) (Medium).jpg

1 (2) (Medium).jpg

1 (15) (Medium).jpg

1 (12) (Medium).jpg

1 (19) (Medium).jpg

1 (21) (Medium).jpg

1 (4) (Medium).jpg

1 (5) (Medium).jpg

1 (7) (Medium).jpg

1 (10) (Medium).jpg

1 (3) (Medium).jpg

1 (14) (Medium).jpg

1 (16) (Medium).jpg

1 (1) (Medium).jpg

1 (Medium).jpg

1 (8) (Medium).jpg

1 (18) (Medium).jpg

1 (17) (Medium).jpg

1 (6) (Medium).jpg

1 (9) (Medium).jpg

1 (11) (Medium).jpg

1 (20) (Medium).jpg

1 (13) (Medium).jpg

1 (2) (Medium).jpg

1 (15) (Medium).jpg

1 (12) (Medium).jpg

1 (19) (Medium).jpg

1 (21) (Medium).jpg

1 (4) (Medium).jpg

1 (5) (Medium).jpg

1 (7) (Medium).jpg

1 (10) (Medium).jpg

1 (3) (Medium).jpg

1 (14) (Medium).jpg

1 (16) (Medium).jpg

1 (1) (Medium).jpg

1 (Medium).jpg

1 (8) (Medium).jpg

1 (18) (Medium).jpg

1 (17) (Medium).jpg

1 (6) (Medium).jpg

1 (9) (Medium).jpg

1 (11) (Medium).jpg

1 (20) (Medium).jpg

D

dm73

Gavin, nice restoration projects, you've done a grand job on them. Are these your first pair or do you have others? If you fancy something bigger my old BMW is sat under 6" s of snow waiting for some tlc:1newwink:

Glad to see these rescued from the bottom of someones toybox.

G

GavinT

Lmao! I'm familiar with old Beemers, I used to have a nice E30 325i

So far I've fully restored three models, the two listed and a 1/18 Focus Rally car. There are 12 1/18 scale cars in my collection and counting, all made by Burago or Maisto. Most of them have had missing detailing added in where needed, just to make them stand out a little and to make them as close to the real thing as possible. I only usually buy either brand new or well looked after examples, but now and again a tatty one crops up and I can't resist the temptation to want to restore it!

B

Bunkerbarge

I think it is a briliant idea to restore old die cast models such as this. There is plently of scope to improve on the detail with a paint job or even the addition of more parts and you have made a lovely job of this one.

I actually had a few Burago Ferrari's until only recently when I gave them away to a friends son, who I know will look after them and enjoy them for many more years to come, so I know what the original factory standard is. This one is a superb improvement and must give you a lot of satisfaction to take the model to a whole new level.

G

GavinT

Hey now that's a nice looking E30 cab! Do I spy a subtle M Sport or Alpina kit to go with those lovely Aplina wheels? Looks to be in great shape from that photo, not sure I'd have the top down in this weather though!

I'm a big fan of the old American Muscle, my all time favourite being a 69 Dodge Charger 440 RT. The trouble is finding the stuff in 1/18 scale for sensible money, or to look at it from a tightwads point of view, less than about twenty five quid lol. There's a few more models I wouldn't mind adding to my collection first, then next year I might just point in the classic Yank direction.

D

dm73

The picture makes it look a lot better than it is, at the moment its on axle stands without a motor awaiting a transplant, genuine tec1 kit and staggered Alpinas are worth more than the car lol.

Got to be the 'Cuda for me, got to love the big Hemi's