Figure company reviews

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just looking at getting a few 1/35 figures to paint for a few ideas i have. I've only ever heard about/seen figures from Tamiya and Dragon before.

Figures i was looking at come from MK35, Mantis Miniatures and Rado Miniatures.

Anyone used these companies before? What are the figures details like?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Alan,
Just seen this post so apologies for any delay in answering: I have no issues with Mk 35 models; similarly I have no experience of the other two manufacturers. What 'specific' areas/eras/nationalities are you interested in? Have you considered others? For example Bravo 6 and Stalingrad models are very good for WW2 and (for the latter) Vietnam eras. If you are prepared to spend a little time on preparation Mini-Art and ICM produce some excellent, and imaginative poses check out 'German Soldiers at Rest' (Mini Art35062) and 'German Infantry at Rest' (Mini Art 35266) - and ICM's range of aircrew figures.
Steve

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi Steve

I am after Waffen SS figures for the most part. I am hoping to do at least two dioramas with them. One for the Ardennes and the other being Normandy.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Alan
Then I can definitely recommend Stalingrad and Bravo 6. There is a range of figures covering activities such as cooking, washing and shaving , vehicle maintenance etc as well as the customary 'action' poses! The 'German Infantry at Rest' from Mini Art have later equipment (short boots and gaiters) and look thoroughly knackered! Very suitable for a withdrawal in contact!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Steve. Had a look at them on evilbay. Saved a few to my watch list. I'll be buying some resin figures down the line when i've actually got done some sort of decent attempt on some cheaper ones first.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Alan!
That's the problem - individual resins might 'hit the spot' but the purse suffers! Perhaps we shouldn't be so 'partickular ' in our requirements! Or maybe -- not be model-makers!

First Name
Steven
Hi Steve

I am after Waffen SS figures for the most part. I am hoping to do at least two dioramas with them. One for the Ardennes and the other being Normandy.
Hi Alan,
Did you manage to create any of these?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi Steven

No i haven't bought any yet. I'm going to buy some cheaper plastic ones first to try and have a go at figure painting before i 'bite the bullet' and upgrade.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Steven

No i haven't bought any yet. I'm going to buy some cheaper plastic ones first to try and have a go at figure painting before i 'bite the bullet' and upgrade.
I'll have a dig into the stash for you..
.... I'm sure I may be able to find something of interest to you Alan;)
Andy
(Sure I have a Dragon set in there that should be suitable!)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That's very kind of you Andy. If you see post number 3 then that is the type of figures i'm after. SS / Panzergrenadiers are my subject of choice as these are what is going to be on the Normandy and Ardennes dios.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's very kind of you Andy. If you see post number 3 then that is the type of figures i'm after. SS / Panzergrenadiers are my subject of choice as these are what is going to be on the Normandy and Ardennes dios.
Yep,
Saw that..... I'll be on the case shortly ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Most of the stash ,WW2 German wise,appears to be Eastern Front,but THESE may suit some of your needs... Unless you want more dynamic poses.. that's a stock pic,my box is rather squashed,apart from that,they're all sealed in the bags,and you're welcome to them! :smiling3:

Attachments

• 79721P1010034.JPG
    79721P1010034.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 17

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
PM inbound Andy