Figure Information Needed

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, need some help and info. Am thinking of changing direction in my modelling, have tried different types and am looking at doing figures, want to do more paint brush painting and avoid spraying if possible, not good for my health. And have a few questions hopefully you lot will be able to help.
When building the figures is it best to make into the figure and then paint or do it in modules? when painting can you paint brush primer or is it best to do this by spraying? is it still good practice to varnish when painted again paintbrush or spraying? Sorry for many questions but need help with this and any other help would be appreciated.
The one I'm looking at starting with is,
Hope this link works if not here's a picture instead,
ICM16301.jpg
Had to start with a Viking.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mark,
I have the same figure in my stash! I know what you mean about painting & assemble/not assemble.
All I can say is assemble as far as you can, but don't make it difficult or impossible to reach & paint bits, by adding more parts. I would say legs, torso & head as separate bits, but it's how you find it easiest! I always drill the legs/arms/torso/head, so I can mount them on cocktail sticks for painting.
Priming is very much personal choice - I generally brush prime figures - just so I don't paint on mating faces ( no scraping off needed ). Washing the sprues in warm soapy water is always a good idea, and handling the parts as little as possible.
Varnishing depends on your media - I only use acrylics, and a thin brush coat of varnish can help you recover after clumsy mistakes
Figure painting needs a bit of thinking ahead before actually starting. 1/16 is ideal in my eyes, not too big & not too small.
Going for oils, enamels, or acrylics?
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Mark. I made this figure when it first came out and it's a good 'un. I ran a thread on it which you can find on about page 6 of the Pre 1ww Figures Under Construction pages. It shows the method I prefer.

For what it's worth, at this scale, I generally build the main part of the figure - torso, legs and arms - then clean up the rest, but leave them unattached for separate painting. I usually paint the head separately, then paint the body from the top downwards. I then mount the various accoutrements and weapons on cocktail sticks and paint them before attaching them to the figure - It makes them easier to get at and avoids creating awkward spaces to paint around. I use Vallejo Model Colour exclusively.

I don't use a primer myself, but I would say spraying is the best option if you do.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mark

Best of luck with the figure painting. I prefer to stick as much as possible together before painting since painting things separately leaves me too much room to get glue everywhere. Also sticking painted bits together is never as easier as sticking raw plastic. I use a matte varnish after everything is finished, sprayed from a rattle can. I also prime first using Tamiya spray primer, again from a rattle can.

John

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mark,
I have the same figure in my stash! I know what you mean about painting & assemble/not assemble.
All I can say is assemble as far as you can, but don't make it difficult or impossible to reach & paint bits, by adding more parts. I would say legs, torso & head as separate bits, but it's how you find it easiest! I always drill the legs/arms/torso/head, so I can mount them on cocktail sticks for painting.
Priming is very much personal choice - I generally brush prime figures - just so I don't paint on mating faces ( no scraping off needed ). Washing the sprues in warm soapy water is always a good idea, and handling the parts as little as possible.
Varnishing depends on your media - I only use acrylics, and a thin brush coat of varnish can help you recover after clumsy mistakes
Figure painting needs a bit of thinking ahead before actually starting. 1/16 is ideal in my eyes, not too big & not too small.
Going for oils, enamels, or acrylics?
Dave
Hi thanks forthe help, will be painting in Vallejo model color or tamiya acrylic, not decided yet which.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks all for the help, have ordered it now so will start it in the New Year.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Mark. I made this figure when it first came out and it's a good 'un. I ran a thread on it which you can find on about page 6 of the Pre 1ww Figures Under Construction pages. It shows the method I prefer.

For what it's worth, at this scale, I generally build the main part of the figure - torso, legs and arms - then clean up the rest, but leave them unattached for separate painting. I usually paint the head separately, then paint the body from the top downwards. I then mount the various accoutrements and weapons on cocktail sticks and paint them before attaching them to the figure - It makes them easier to get at and avoids creating awkward spaces to paint around. I use Vallejo Model Colour exclusively.

I don't use a primer myself, but I would say spraying is the best option if you do.

Hope this helps.
Hi, have now ordered my ICM Viking so will start that soon. Can you give me any tips, such as painting the beard etc will be painting with acrylics Vallejo Color and Tamiya, is it OK to mix the two paints with different colors? , want to use what I've got first. Do you use any oils or washes?
Been looking at your work and I really like them, something to aim for, wishful thinking I think.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Mark.

I'm not sure that the Tamiya will mix particularly well with the Vallejo, at least I never found it did so. I just use Vallejo Model Colour, no oils, no washes, just brushwork. I would say that the best thing to do is concentrate on getting a clean finish first without worrying about fancy paint affects. That way, you'll pick up some brush control, which is the main thing. I'm starting on ICMs 1/16 Centurion figure tomorrow, so you'll have company.

I'm a great admirer of Calvin Tan's work, and it's worth visiting his website where there are tutorials by both himself and other well-known figure painters - zyclyon.blogspot.com.

Remember, it's about having fun!

gothicgeek

SMF Supporter
First Name
mark
Dont use Tamiya paints for brush painting!
Vallejo, Andrea, Citadel will all brush paint well ( and can be mixed ) but also consider using a flow enhancer like teh Daler Rowney one ( I bought a bottle 12 years ago and it's still 3/4 full!
As Peter says lots of practice with brush control and dilution of your paint. And make sure your brush is not overloaded.

HTH :smiling3:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Dont use Tamiya paints for brush painting!
Vallejo, Andrea, Citadel will all brush paint well ( and can be mixed ) but also consider using a flow enhancer like teh Daler Rowney one ( I bought a bottle 12 years ago and it's still 3/4 full!
As Peter says lots of practice with brush control and dilution of your paint. And make sure your brush is not overloaded.

HTH :smiling3:
Thanks for that, do you know why Tamiya isn't good to paint brush with? , I've got some to use up.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It doesn’t flow or cover well when brushed, at least in my experience. It’s a bit like painting with jam.... Great for spraying though......

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
It doesn’t flow or cover well when brushed, at least in my experience. It’s a bit like painting with jam.... Great for spraying though......
That answers a few issues I've had, such as after painting let it dry, then paint again only for it to lift off the previous paint, thought it was me but maybe not, watched a couple of videos and on several forums all seem to say the same thing, sprays well and brushes better, mmm, with a retarder but still smells, think i'll stick with my Vallejo color and air in future, a lot simpler to live with. The Tamiya can go in a cupboard until I fancy spraying it or maybe not, got quite a few jars now, oh well, no more smell that'll make my wife and the dogs so much happier.