File Recommendations

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Have tried a few files mainly on wood but find they don't last long, any recommendations.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure what you mean Mark. Files should last forever, especially on a soft material like wood ? What exactly is happening? Can you post photos? it may be the file is too fine for the material, so try something coarser.

If it is just clogging then Steven is right, clean them with something like a brass suede brush. You can also dust them with talcum powder before use to minimise build up.
I would avoid using them on soft things like white metal though, that is quite hard to clean off.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Chalk is less messy than Talc and more easily handled.....build up is kept to a minimum and you will find that they will "chatter" less on hard materials. For best results clean them often as recommended above. Nicholson is a brand I recommend. I have some that are over 30 years old and they still cut like they should. Remember files only cut in a forward direction.....never draw them back over your work. Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
All depends on what type of file you're using - on wood, you need to use a 'rasp' which has very much coarser teeth, not a file designed for metal which have finer teeth (there are varying coarsenesses with both types).
As said before, keeping them clean is a 'must'.
For modelling plastics, I use a set of 'diamond' needle files - though shouldn't really, as they're really too coarse and I have to 'tone them down' a bit by using chalk and being very light handed when using them and finishing by using a scraper - been looking at a set of more suitable ones though.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Chalk is less messy than Talc and more easily handled.....build up is kept to a minimum and you will find that they will "chatter" less on hard materials. For best results clean them often as recommended above. Nicholson is a brand I recommend. I have some that are over 30 years old and they still cut like they should. Remember files only cut in a forward direction.....never draw them back over your work. Rick H.
Unless using the technique of 'draw-filing' to polish the work, where you pull it along sideways ;) - lost count of number of hours I've spent at a bench doing that!

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for the replies, the problem i have is that they seem to discolor and the teeth seem to disappear, not filing wood very well almost like its smooth, I think its because I bought a really cheap set.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks for the replies, the problem i have is that they seem to discolor and the teeth seem to disappear, not filing wood very well almost like its smooth, I think its because I bought a really cheap set.
Are the teeth missing from the file, or are they just clogging up after a few strokes?
Discolouration can just be the material that you're filing is interacting with the metal of the file, teeth breaking off is usually a sign of lower quality, as the teeth are hardened, but the file 'body' shouldn't be - on lower quality, normally they harden the whole thing, which makes the teeth brittle. (This is all from memory - about 50 years ago - so probably got some parts wrong!)
What I've said about the teeth, only relates to metal files - not to the 'diamond' ones

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Coincidentally I have just bought THESE. Haven't had much chance to use them but they are a lot better than a real cheap set I bought at a model show years ago.
Jim
I've got an odd one in the garage - wouldn't know where it came from, but it must be really high quality, still as good as it was years ago!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds like they might be just clogging up Mark. You might be better off using sandpaper or wet’n’dry paper stuck to thin section wood (or plastic) with double sided tape. It shouldn’t clog so readily and can be changed in seconds if it does.