Fill 'er up!

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Tim, thanks for that. Good to know I'm not alone. I'm sure I could easily carry on doing stand alone models but there's just something about a well made diorama that really pushes my buttons, and I'd like to eventually be able to recreate them myself.

Copying, or at least getting inspiration from another's work, as you, Richard & Paul have mentioned definitely sounds like a good path to go down to get me rolling.

Neil - I'm going to have that made into a sign and hang it above my bench! :smiling5:

On a side note, the (medically high risk) in-laws have both received their initial vaccine jab so that's one major weight off my mind, and I have a long weekend away from work coming up so will get back at it on Saturday with renewed vigour!

Thanks again for the kind words all.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I suffer from the same doubts Andy, which is why I have never done a diorama as I find it hard to conjure up a suitable scene in my head and I also have a serious dread of painting figures. One of these days I will something, probably based on a picture I have seen, like others have said there is no shame in doing that as it is one way to get the hang of things.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andy, sorry I missed your reply!

Steve has kindly given me a few places to try for reference photos, plus I've found a surprising amount on Instagram, so I'm starting to get a few ideas. It'll still be fairly simple, as airfields aren't littered with debris etc, but it'll be a start :smiling3:

I'm not sure how well it comes across on camera but I've been doing a bit of oil work on the truck. Basic dot filter / streaking mostly, but some stains, shading and highlighting have been added and I've toned down the markings a bit. Will keep going back to it.

JtCdrIU.jpg

I got some more work done on the bird today too. There were some parts that required painting before the fuselage halves were joined, so did everything else that needed the same colour

vTo4wV0.jpg

The joint was pretty much spot on. I struggled with the cockpit at first but once I'd got all of the location points aligned it sat perfectly. You can maybe see how tight everything goes together by the wing spars. They also form part of the gear bay but they were so snug going in that the paint got scraped off. Easy fix though.

hc3g5ZH.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. Looking good this build is right up my alley. Seated and watching with joy.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming along well Andy, never tried that oily stuff myself but one of these days perhaps.

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy that is great painting .
As for ideas try Pinterest, for example type in dioramas WW2 . Loads to look at and get ideas.
I save pins of rust, old buildings , Russian villages, tanks ete etc. All this information helps and is a good source for ideas .

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy. Looking good this build is right up my alley. Seated and watching with joy.
Thanks Lee. I'm fighting my usual instinct of rushing to get finished as quickly as possible, and trying to spend a bit more time on the final stages.
Nice progress. Got to like Tamiya fit!
Thanks Tim.

I can't understand how manufacturers can get away with producing models that don't even fit together! If some can do it, surely they all can. I know costs come into it but I'd rather pay a few quid more and know it's been designed and tooled properly.

Coming along well Andy, never tried that oily stuff myself but one of these days perhaps.

Andy.
I've used them on and off, but starting out with cheap craft shop ones did me no favours. The smell of oils also turns my stomach so I've avoided them for a while but I'm determined to give them another go and see what I can learn.

Andy that is great painting .
As for ideas try Pinterest, for example type in dioramas WW2 . Loads to look at and get ideas.
I save pins of rust, old buildings , Russian villages, tanks ete etc. All this information helps and is a good source for ideas .
Thanks John.

I found pinterest useful on my camper build so I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Will give it a go, thanks.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Lovely work so far Andy, the paintwork on the fuel truck looks superb :thumb2:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy

That truck is really nice. The paint job makes it a real Bobby dazzler.

John

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. I haven't heard that saying in a while! :smiling5:

I tackled the fuselage joints today. After a scraping this morning I brushed on a coat of surfacer 500. This was left for much of the day to dry, then sanded smooth, and I did a small amount of rescribing on the panel lines as needed. After a coat of finishing surfacer I'm happy to say they are looking fine, I just need to reinstate a couple of rivets that got lost during the sanding

PtlTxfl.jpg

hYXCMJ0.jpg

I've also been tackling the engine today. The kit offering is pretty good, although it had a major (for Tamiya) seam line on both main parts which was tricky to clean up, especially between the cylinders. I did the best I could then pre-painted most of the parts before assembly.

I added a bit of extra detail with wires and breather hoses. Not exactly accurate but gives a little added interest. Some washes and a bit of mottling on the front grey section have broken up the stark colours. For what little of it you'll see once the model is completed I'm very pleased.

MDQN8XM.jpg

kHyJWE5.jpg

udrC2ec.jpg

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great stuff Andy, love the truck and office of the Jug:cool:

Gonna be a neat scene:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Progressing nicely Andy. Good job on the engine and on the fuselage seams....

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Fernando and Tim.

More construction planned for today, maybe even some primer if I have a fair wind.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Beautiful work on the engine Andy. I wouldn't comment on the seam line sanding and panel lines rescribing as that's the norm for aircraft building except that it's pretty neat. ;)

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Top work as always Andy.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andrew

Beautiful work on the engine Andy. I wouldn't comment on the seam line sanding and panel lines rescribing as that's the norm for aircraft building except that it's pretty neat. ;)

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, although the seam shot was further to my comment above about the fit really. This is the first plane I've done that hasn't needed even a dab of filler (yet!) I'd like to kid myself that it's me getting better, but I'm sure it's just the kit :smiling5:

Wings were another pleasing moment. Not even any primer on these, just sanded then polished back up.

nNZ6Qz6.jpg

I've also managed to get the wings fitted today, and started putting some of the stores together. I'm going for the heaviest load option I think, with a drop tank, rocket launchers and bombs. That might give me something extra to work into the scene - reloading of some sort.

b9E0ay6.jpg