Fill 'er up!

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Looking better and better Andy. Pre shade is showing well.
Thanks Tim.

Weirdly I tried using much less light than usual for the pictures - just my desk lamp on it's lowest setting. So not quite as sharp as they could be but seems to show the variations better.
Andy,
looking good mate, hope the finger heals up soon.
Cheers Paul.

Looking at my finger I think it should have had a couple of stitches as the cut still hasn't closed up fully. It will get there eventually, I'll just have yet another scar!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The pictures might not be totally sharp Andy but they are better lit, so correctly exposed. This gives the better colour saturation at the expense of slower shutter speeds. Too much light can desaturate the colour, much as a photo taken on a really hot day will look bleach out. If you are shooting hand held try bracing the camera against something fixed to minimise camera shake.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy.

Trouble is I've been chatting with a guy at work and he's got so many ideas going in my head that I'd never fit it in 1/48 :smiling5:

Might keep this one simple as planned, then try something a bit more adventurous in 1/72 later.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to hear about the finger Andy, I always found a dash of surgical spirt was great, A--- stopped you from thinking about what you had just done due to the jumping about and B sanitised the wound !
Nice work on the build.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. Cleaning my spray guns in a bath of thinners had a similar effect!

I've been steadily working my way around the decals. 90 so far and I'm yet to start on the underside. The Chief on the nose was a bit of a challenge, with a white base decal that wrapped all around the nose, then the coloured section added on top. All on compound curves.

VMS 2 in 1 solution followed by a couple of coats of UMP extra strong softener soon licked it into shape though.

Some careful measuring of the red portion before painting meant I was spot on with the demarcation. Phew!

XJgphy4.jpg

dlH4cLE.jpg

RR5gYL9.jpg

I'm also putting together a cute little 1/48 Jeep. I've managed to lose the rear view mirror so am going to attempt scratching a replacement.

MGwe2wP.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Mick and Paul.

Decals for the underside aren't going so well but thankfully they won't be seen much :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is a very nice paint job. The shade variation is excellent. Always nice to get the decals on a plane.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love the decal part, it brings things to life. These are looking fine Andy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I was hoping to make a start on the Neutral Grey underside tonight but I put a large laceration in my trigger finger at work earlier!

Being the companies first aider and having to dress my own favoured hand by myself was a bit challenging to say the least, but I generally heal very quickly so it should be right soon enough

Needless to say, I won't be picking the airbrush up for a couple of days :smiling5:
As long as you put it in the accident book!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy that is coming together very nicely and on a serious note for the cut wasn't too bad.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the great comments guys, I'm glad you are liking it so far.

I have to admit to not applying all of the decals to the underside. There seems to be one for every single hatch and orifice but since it will be posed on the deck they'll never be seen, so skipped many of the tiny ones.

On to the dreaded wash stage next. I'm trying out one of the UMP ones for the first time, which look really easy to use, so fingers crossed.

Andy - it finally closed up this morning so have left it undressed now. Obviously I keep catching it all the time, isn't that always the case with a wound, but it'll be back to normal very soon.

D

Deleted member 7181

The plane is almost finished so here are a few quick snaps. Several things didn't go to plan and all of the tiny decals have silvered like crazy, but it looks good enough at arms length :smiling2:

There are a few touch ups to do and there'll be some more weathering when I get around to the base, but with so many things to knock off it'll only be subtle.

rHBWNuP.jpg

ZEwaDP9.jpg

And with the truck for an idea of how they size up together.

jjoZgLs.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work as always Andy!

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good together. Nice contrast in OD paint on show. I always have issues with small decals as well. No idea why, you’d think they would be easy to get down properly, but they are not!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andrew, Tim & Paul.

Here's a few more shades of OD for you Tim. The bare Tamiya plastic of the accessories, then a few layered onto the Jeep with hairspray chipping. And the start of some oil work too.

ianvo9m.jpg

I'll be looking for more of these cheap little kits as they are super easy to throw together and let me go to town trying new things without fear of ruining something costly.