Filler tips.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
We all need to use a little filler now and again in kits etc in model building,nothing wrong with this but here are a few tips in order that you get the best end results-

Join lines always need attention,firstly clamp well together with masking tape,rubber bands or cheap pound shop clamps,allow to dry overnight and next day take a scalpel knife and scrape along the join,finish off with wet and dry and look closely at the join,next take either of the following steps:If the join is barely visible but there are still blemishes then take a Tipex brush (Snowflake correction type fluid etc ) and run quickly down the join,allow plenty of time to dry and sand again.

If the joint is still far from satisfactory then run two pieces of masking tape either side of the offending area,now knife some Squadron putty along the join making sure it stands proud of any indentations,next before the putty dries pull away the tape,allow to dry overnight.With wet and dry and a tiny amount of washing up liquid in the water sand throughly next day for a seam free finish.

Hot Tip-

Small conversion pieces such as nose cones etc,made from balsa wood on models,can be quickly made ready for painting by smearing all over with a thin covering of green filler ( place a rubber glove on your hand ),allow to dry and rub down with wet and dry paper,once painted the parts look like plastic.

Squadron make two types of filler,the white variety dries more quickly and useful for build up work,the green is superb for fine work and smaller blemishes.

B

Brian lock

when using squadron white or green, mask the area to be filled leaving a 2mm gap,fill with white or green,dip a cotton bud in some nail polish remover and draw it over the filler, this removes excess leaving a nice smooth joint very little sanding if any! but dont over do !

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the tip Brian and welcome to the forum.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Great tip Brian,I will give this a try later.

R

rjwood_uk

me too thanks for that brian. and welcome to the forum

i am going to be making a hasegawa 1/48 f-16 and have read a few reviews on it and it may require a bit of filling so thanks for that!

N

Nigel.D

Try using p38 or halfords car body filler this cures in minutes and has the same cproperties as plastic !! as for the tip using nail polish remover !! you can do exactly the same with liquid poly on p38 it also will help dilute the filer for a thinner consistency and not alter cure times

A

ajg141

Excellent tips - many thanks. Pity I hadn't known this 3 weeks ago - but the info is stored for next time with a bit of oractice first.

Andrew

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
putty disaster

:emo10:Hello all and I'm introducing myself through a panic!

I purchased a airfix 1/24 bf109e and have been out of kit building for 11 years or so. I realized too late, last night that I have a 1/8" gap running along the fuselage joint line and applied squadron putty with a small putty knife in the hopes of filling the gap and building up the material to match and form a good joint. I have already primed with several coats but forgot to mask the area, now have putty everywhere and tried to use fine sandpaper to shape. My fear now is that I am removing detail, rivets etc and don't know what to do! Is there a way to just remove and or dissolve the putty? I now have blobs along the joint line so I'm really scared to do anything. This is also my first time using an airbrush so right from the start I applied too much primer and let it dry a week before moving on. If I apply more primer, will this fill in some of the material before I get down to low and sand off the detail? Thanks to all for at least reading this in amusement! Jeff.