Fillet-less P-51D in 1/72

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Does anyone know of a decent 1/72 P-51D kit that comes without the tail fillet? I've been having a look but not picked up on anything yet other than the Revell kist which is supposed to be awful.

Cheers!

A.J

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Does anyone know of a decent 1/72 P-51D kit that comes without the tail fillet? I've been having a look but not picked up on anything yet other than the Revell kist which is supposed to be awful.

Cheers!

A.J
Try one of these
academy mmustang.jpgheller mustang.jpgkp mustang.jpg
The last will be your best bet!
Dave

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Try one of these
View attachment 509998View attachment 509999View attachment 510000
The last will be your best bet!
Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at the KP one I think.

Interestingly, the Academy one, obviously the boxart shows the no fillet tail - I almost ordered one on ebay, but if you look at the plastic in the kit (and the built up model photo on the side of the box) it actually has a filleted tail.

The Heller one I know nothing about, other than it might be rather old. Like I said, I'll take a look at the KP one. Thanks again Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at the KP one I think.

Interestingly, the Academy one, obviously the boxart shows the no fillet tail - I almost ordered one on ebay, but if you look at the plastic in the kit (and the built up model photo on the side of the box) it actually has a filleted tail.

The Heller one I know nothing about, other than it might be rather old. Like I said, I'll take a look at the KP one. Thanks again Dave.
I might have jumped the gun on the KP model - their website says 'coming soon'
Dave

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
It wouldn’t be all that hard to just carve off the fillet, though, would it?

No not really, although there would be a little bit of repair work on the top of the fuselage, it wouldn't be anything major.