Filling small gaps

K

Keithmayes

I have a few small gaps/furrows to fill where the joins are not perfect. Hey, it's my first model so it's bound to be pathetic. I saw on one of the forums something recently about a putty but can't find it again. What do you guys recommend please? It almost looks in places as if a dab of superglue would do the job, but don't fancy rubbing it down. Cheers.

Keith

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Keith their has been a good discussion on "sanding" a few days ago. This dealt with fillers.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/sanding-down.29874/

This will help a lot

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Keith their has been a good discussion on "sanding" a few days ago. This dealt with fillers.http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/sanding-down.29874/

This will help a lot

Laurie
Thanks Laurie, that's the thread I was looking for. As you say, it really covers the subject well. Cheers.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Keith, if you do use some superglue there are options. You can use a high viscosity version. You can also make a filler by adding talcum powder to the glue. For a small gap run the glue in, sprinkle on the talc, shake of the excess and then sand more or less straight away. DO NOT let the glue cure as it will be harder than the surrounding plastic.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

Another tip if you use Super Glue. I use Loctite after using many others and found it the best. As it happens, although I had come to the conclusion before they tested a number, it came out best in Which.

But if you decant into a small amount leave for about 15 mins it starts to go "lazy". Found it is then easier to work also goes off quicker than as it comes fresh out of the container.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

Thanks for all your advice guys. After checking out the thread (that I couldn't find without Laurie's link) I decided to go with Mr Surfacer 1000, looks just the job.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Thanks for all your advice guys. After checking out the thread (that I couldn't find without Laurie's link) I decided to go with Mr Surfacer 1000, looks just the job.
No Keith Mr Surfacer 500. Mr Surfacer 1000 and 1200 are like a very thin primer or are primers. Got the 3 of them but would not use 1000 or 1200 for filling.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
No Keith Mr Surfacer 500. Mr Surfacer 1000 and 1200 are like a very thin primer or are primers. Got the 3 of them but would not use 1000 or 1200 for filling.Laurie
Okay, thanks for that info, didn't appreciate the difference. I'll order The 500, still got plenty to do to keep me busy while waiting. Cheers.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Let your Mr Surfacer 1000 sit for 12 months. You'll find it gets thicker as some of the solvents it contains evaporate - or at least mine did! You can always thin it out if it gets too thick.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Let your Mr Surfacer 1000 sit for 12 months. You'll find it gets thicker as some of the solvents it contains evaporate - or at least mine did! You can always thin it out if it gets too thick.
It sounds a bit like me, the older I get the thicker I get.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Each to their own Laurie but I think I'll stick with the single malt ;)
Not much difference Keith and the thinners are infinitely cheaper. :rolleyes:

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
I am talking of blended. Now malt ;) Laurie
Just as an aside, I lived in Scotland, near Glasgow, for almost 20 years until a few years ago. I had a lot of hard drinking friends and was introduced to Scotland's greatest achievement, the single malt whisky. I can identify a great many single malts with just a taste, and with any any of them which area they are from and which distillery. For me, the best of the best is the 18 year old Macallan, liquid gold! If ever we were to meet, I would love to buy you a few nips. Cheers!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Just as an aside, I lived in Scotland, near Glasgow, for almost 20 years until a few years ago. I had a lot of hard drinking friends and was introduced to Scotland's greatest achievement, the single malt whisky. I can identify a great many single malts with just a taste, and with any any of them which area they are from and which distillery. For me, the best of the best is the 18 year old Macallan, liquid gold! If ever we were to meet, I would love to buy you a few nips. Cheers!
Whisky is strictly for weddings, funerals and Hogmannay with me. I prefer Scotland's other national swally, Irn-Bru.

L

Laurie

\ said:
For me, the best of the best is the 18 year old Macallan
Oh no Keith just try Eradour if you can get it with out a visit there. Just superb. Also worth a visit there it is a cottage industry.

Laurie

I know you are going to moan off topic Ian. But a malt whisky does fill a gap. It may reappear, the gap that is, but you can always reapply the filler.