Filters & Washes

A

Awins

Please can you explain the difference between a filter and a wash. Looking at youtube videos they seem to be the same thing to me with just a different name.

Cheers

F

Fenlander

A filter is a very thin overall layer that helps to effect (filter) the whole look of the under painting. This can also help unify the different shades if you use modulation by having a single colour cover over all of it. Filters are generally quite thin, think of them as a transparent film.

A wash, especially a pin wash, is a darker contrasting colour that is far stronger than a filter and is used to flow into recesses like panel lines etc to darken them and make them more prominent. An all over wash again is darker than a filter and is designed to create natural shadows by settling in recessed areas such as creases in a uniform when doing figures.

To sum up, filters are like camera filters, they are designed to subtly alter the whole appearance. A wash is to increase contrast in shadow areas.

D

dubster72

To add to Graham's excellent explanation, filters are applied over matt surfaces so the heavily thinned paint gets caught by the microscopic pits that characterise a matt coat.

Washes are (generally) applied over a gloss coat to assist the wash to flow into panel lines, creases & assorted crevices... not THAT kind! ;)

A

Awins

\ said:
A filter is a very thin overall layer that helps to effect (filter) the whole look of the under painting. This can also help unify the different shades if you use modulation by having a single colour cover over all of it. Filters are generally quite thin, think of them as a transparent film.
A wash, especially a pin wash, is a darker contrasting colour that is far stronger than a filter and is used to flow into recesses like panel lines etc to darken them and make them more prominent. An all over wash again is darker than a filter and is designed to create natural shadows by settling in recessed areas such as creases in a uniform when doing figures.

To sum up, filters are like camera filters, they are designed to subtly alter the whole appearance. A wash is to increase contrast in shadow areas.
Perfectly explained Graham, clearly there is a big difference between the two.

Thank you

F

Fenlander

You are welcome Alan. Patrick raised a good point in their respective uses with Matt and gloss or satin finishes which I missed, cheers Patrick ;)

D

dubster72

This is a good link, it's what explained filters to me. Also there's other stuff about rain streaks as well

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm

F

Fenlander

\ said:
This is a good link, it's what explained filters to me. Also there's other stuff about rain streaks as well
Cheers Patrick, well worth bookmarking :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Also I would add to the great advice you've already read that an all over wash is generally dry brushed out while a filter is to alter the shade of the colour so it's best to use a slightly lighter colour when first painted

I've used this method on my SAS smocks due to them being in a camo scheme

J

John Rixon

\ said:
This is great little resource!