Final Matt Varnish and gloss paints question

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good morning.

I'm pretty new to all of this and as well as starting to build models I'm starting to read a lot too.

I understand the concept of applying gloss varnishes after each main stage to protect the previous layer of paint and also apply decals etc. I also understand that most people finish with a Matt coat of varnish.

The question I have with this then is how does this work if your applying gloss and varnish paints to a model? Will these coats of varnish change the look of the colour anyway, especially the final coat which should make all the paint look Matt.

I'm currently modelling a Tamiya tank which requires both gloss and Matt black which I am applying as per the instructions but won't both blacks look Matt when I apply a final Matt varnish? I'll know for sure when I actually get to that stage but was inquisitive to what the more advanced modellers know of this.

Mike

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a good question Mike. I apply a gloss varnish coat to protect the previous paintwork before doing washes as it helps them flow better, once they are done a matt coat. Other than that I will have to admit I don't know what the outcome would be with a gloss black then coated with matt, thinking it would defeat the whole idea!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Speaking as an armour modeller, the only need to varnish your model is if it is to protect it, create a certain look, or for decals. If you just want to paint your model and add decals then you would gloss varnish the area/whole model to allow you to add the decals. You then end up with a nice new shiny straight out of the factory looking model. Job done!

However if you want to start weathering your model with washes, filters, oils, pigments etc then you need to protect all that hard work you have done with the acrylics. This is because the weathering process could damage all your good work so far.

Which varnish do I use I hear you ask. Well if you are just doing enamels, washes, filters etc then gloss will work well because as JR says they will be easier to apply. However if you are doing oil and pigment work they need a rougher surface to get optimum results. Therefore you would use a matt varnish.

There is no real reason to give your model a final coat of any varnish as long as you look after it. As you have stated a gloss or matt varnish will effect the final look. There is nothing stopping you during the painting and weathering process to chop and change the varnishes you use to create the final look you are after.

If it helps I do all the acrylic work, apply gloss to the area where the decals go and then cover the whole model in matt varnish. During the weathering process I will use gloss or silk varnish for oil spills, headlights etc and matt varnish to secure some pigment work, but at no time airbrush the whole model in varnish again. Happy modelling!