Finally finished Hawker Hurricine MK II B

R

roconnell

Finally finished my latest project that I have been working on for the last few months!

This is a Revell model in 1:72 if wondering.

Over all I am pleased with the end results especially as it is the first time I have tried new techniques and had a few teething problems that I had to rectify.

As I wanted to have an open cockpit I had a go at making my own canopy, which until glued in place as flimsy I did not notice that the rear of it from above is slightly wonky, but hey ho better luck next time!

I also had to scratch build a new antenna for under the wing as I knocked it off when trying out my new Pro-modeller weathering pigments I bought at Telford.

At some point I may have a go at create a grassy area and add a pilot but I plan to move onto my next project of the Supermarine Spitfire MK Ia to add something to the unofficial BoB group build, it will have to just be better late than never.

Apologies for going snap happy with the photos! Would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Rich

View attachment 21993View attachment 22007View attachment 22006View attachment 22005View attachment 22004View attachment 22003View attachment 22002View attachment 22001View attachment 22000View attachment 21999View attachment 21998View attachment 21997View attachment 21996View attachment 21995View attachment 22008

View attachment 28868

View attachment 28869

View attachment 28870

View attachment 28871

View attachment 28872

View attachment 28873

View attachment 28874

View attachment 28875

View attachment 28876

View attachment 28877

View attachment 28878

View attachment 28879

View attachment 28880

View attachment 28881

View attachment 28882

View attachment 28883

PIC_2850.jpg

PIC_2846.jpg

PIC_2853.jpg

PIC_2831.jpg

PIC_2839.jpg

PIC_2854.jpg

PIC_2848.jpg

PIC_2837.jpg

PIC_2844.jpg

PIC_2841.jpg

PIC_2847.jpg

PIC_2836.jpg

PIC_2833.jpg

PIC_2838.jpg

PIC_2834.jpg

PIC_2849.jpg

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Very nice Rich and perfectly timed to see this much better kit against my Airfix MkI Hurricane with raised panel lines and no cockpit interior or wheel wells. This looks just great and kudos for making a canopy, would be interested how you did that. Lovely build and really well weathered.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richard

Superb Hurri! I can't believe the detail you people are getting from these tiny kits!

Very, very nice indeed

:biggthumpup:

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a smashin' piece of work in such a small scale. Nice one Chris.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice indeed,they just keep coming don't they! Nice to see the twelve gun version too.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Top class work there! Are you sure its 1/72....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi rich , brilliant job , cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Spot on Richard, a very nice model. Great weathering.....Can't have too many pictures of builds like this!

Ron

R

roconnell

Thansk for the kind words

Thanks for all you kind comments chaps!

Must say I really enjoyed this build.

Graham - To achieve the open canopy I followed the advice given me by John (centurion3RTR) who's build ''The Few'' Inspired me to try the technique.

\ said:
Thanks Richard, right mate you'll need some of the clear plastic from things like kids toys. You know the stuff, the stuff that take you a week to get into with a pair of sissors/knive/blow torch or C4, blu tack and tamiya masking tape. Cover the canopy with masking tape so the hot clear plastic won't stick to it, blu tack on the inside so it won't bend and just warm the clear plastic with a cigarette lighter. Pull the warmed clear plastic over the canopy and let in cool down, if the old canopy doesn't come out don't panic you can use it as a jig and cut around it. It's just like vac forming but without the vac lol. This was how i did it on 1:72 scale and havn't tried it on anything bigger but should work, let us know if it doe's and if it don't then i'm on the run.

Have fun, John
Ian - Not sure why I checked as the only 1:35 model I have is of a German motorcycle tractor! Graham, I think i remember you doing one some months back which also inspired me. If you have any reference pics you could send by email that would be great! Back to the question re scale, It is one of the 1:72 models from the Revell British Legends set I got last Christmas.

That's just made me realise I have made two models over the last twelve months!! Mind you my shed was not quite functioning as a model base, so on a role now as well as feeling more confident.

Just getting ready to start The new Airfix Spit MKI to contribute to the non GB, I may then do yet another spit MKVB and if I then dont start the bike I may be brave enough to do my favourite, Avro Lancaster, although dont want to reck it so we will see!!

Thanks once again

Rich

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Richard, if you mean the Kettenkraftrad, I don't have pics but there is loads of stuff on the net. This is just one of them but if you do a google for Kettenkraftrad, you will find loads including quite a few videos of restored one running, would love to drive one. Just remember that restored ones are not necessarily in the correct colours.