Finest Products for Dioramas

First Name
Steven
Hi Guys,
First of all I’d like to introduce myself. I’m an airbrush fine artist and self confessed “Normandy
campaign” nut. I find the dioramas that I’ve seen absolutely staggering and wanted to create a scene from the Normandy Bocage. I’ve already made a Panther in 1/35 which I’m about to paint and weather. I wanted to create a scene where the Panther was amongst the Bocage in a field with accompanying troops. With this in mind I wanted to know the best products to buy such as grass, mud effects, foliage etc. Luckily the airbrush side of things should be straightforward as I’ve been airbrushing now for over 10 years.
Thankyou for your comments

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi Steven

Thank you for your kind comments on my dio and welcome to the forum. I'm sure the guys and gals are more than willing to answer any questions you may have

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Steven.

In the process of doing my first dio myself so can't help much but there are a lot of talented modellers on here who can point you in the right direction.

ATB

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steven and welcome.
Always like to help a fellow diorama starter. Here are some tips before you start ordering or look for products.
1. Be aware of scale
2. Try to observe all things around you and you will find some odd stuff that can be used in the dio. The kitchen is a great place to start.
3. If you live in the city then ordering online is the way to go...try diodump.com they have quite a wide range of stuff.
4. If you stay in the suburbs and countryside then you'll save a lot of money scouring for moss, decaying wood chips, roots(good for miniature trees).
5. For groundwork you don't have to use real mud. Most of the effects are textures and painting. Polyfilla mixed with different grades of sand can give you varying textures.
6. White glue helps a lot in fastening the products onto the dio in thick or diluted form as it dries clear.

I hope this is enough to start off...have great fun.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steven,
Welcome to the forum! - Just a few random thoughts - don't try to overpopulate your diorama! Think of the actual density of people/vehicles - they didn't park closely, or gather in large groups, for fear a single shell could take them out! Think of the purpose of the diorama, if it's an AA gun, then it'd have a clear field of fire, all round, an ambush - camouflaged.
Diorama bases should be larger than you think! Stability & rigidity! 8mm MDF at least. Draw the layout full size on paper, with paper strips to indicate hedges/roads etc., & move bits around. Don't leave the base flat - bocage country is sunken roads, raised hedgerows. Fields were small, but of a size to actually grow produce, with access by gates big enough to take a horse and cart - not a Sherman! Fighting in trhe bocage was in summer 1944, so the fields, trees & hedges would be lush and green.
Just think of the probability of the layout, is it logical? The materials used are commonly available, railway scenics are a good source for bits, loads of different types of foliage - but don't go over the top it's not a botanical garden! Making figures & vehicles is just a small part of the work on a diorama - fitting them into the scene takes a lot of thought and planning!
Dave

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steven, welcome. I'm a newbie here too. I joined a year ago, and the advice and encouragement I got from members here made a massive difference for me.

My one piece of advice to you would be to start a thread on your diorama (in the appropriate section, of course) right away.

I was advised to do this, and it meant I got exactly the right help at exactly the right time.

A more general thread (like this one) makes it impossible for others to gauge your abilities, progress, problems and wishes as they relate to your build.

A start would be those paper layout plans already suggested, plus an image or two of the Panther. You'll only get help and encouragement on here, I promise you!

All the best,
Paul.

First Name
Steven
Wow! Blown away by the kind help and encouragement! Thankyou Richard, Dave and Paul. I will post periodically

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steven,
between all members of the forum, I reckon we can answer all questions! - or if not, know where to find it! :smiling4:
Seriously, we all have little tit bits of information on our own speciality, and the forum is a great place to pick up do's and dont's, where to source obscure bits etc - I bet you can give a few nuggets on airbrush use! There's a wide range of skill levels from beginners to jaw-dropping - so jump in & mingle!!!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Steven, nice to see a new member.
Look few'd to you input .

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
5. For groundwork you don't have to use real mud. Most of the effects are textures and painting. Polyfilla mixed with different grades of sand can give you varying textures.
6. White glue helps a lot in fastening the products onto the dio in thick or diluted form as it dries clear.
In regards to using Polyfilla (white plaster) I'd recommend getting some cheap brown or black poster paint or kid's acrylic to tint the plaster before use as it stops white chips showing through.

Remember that white glue (PVA) will usually dry glossy so works great for "wet" scenes but you might need some touching up for a dry scene.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
When I first started in dios I used to raid the kitchen spice rack for oregano and parsley to use as leaves or scattered autumn leaves. Now ofcourse there are more defined after market ones and stamp cutters for leaves.

Cheers,
Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
In regards to using Polyfilla (white plaster) I'd recommend getting some cheap brown or black poster paint or kid's acrylic to tint the plaster before use as it stops white chips showing through.

Remember that white glue (PVA) will usually dry glossy so works great for "wet" scenes but you might need some touching up for a dry scene.
Yes, pre-coloring polyfilla helps cover any white showing through.
Diluted white glue basically sinks into the groundwork which still gets painted afterwards to blend with the rest of the surrounding. Even the after market stuff will need painting especially flocking used for grass.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Steven
So I’m a picture framer by trade and have stock 6mm sheets of MDF. Before I proceed is it a good idea to prep the MDF before I lay the clay?

Regarding the figures are there any specific brands I should be looking for?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
So I’m a picture framer by trade and have stock 6mm sheets of MDF. Before I proceed is it a good idea to prep the MDF before I lay the clay?

Regarding the figures are there any specific brands I should be looking for?
I always use moisture resistant MDF, but I always give it a coat of dilute PVA, before doing anything - it may be overkill, but dampness sinking into MDF causes warping & the clay not sticking very well!
What sort of clay are you using? I use DAS air drying clay - applying only thin coats & allowing to really dry in a cool dry place before going onto the next coat, this should prevent cracking when drying. If the base isn't rigid enough, then it will flex & the clay will fall off.................... ( bitter experience ). To minimise use of clay, you can make cores out of thin wood, or plasticard, cut to shape, then the clay applied over the top.
If you're a picture framer, then edging the MDF base with reversed beading should be a doddle - it gives a neat edge ( as you probably already know )
DSCF1618.JPG
This is the Zvezda 1/350 Knyaz Suvorov the sea was built up in 3 layers, with a couple of days dryng between
Dave

Last edited:
First Name
Steven
I always use moisture resistant MDF, but I always give it a coat of dilute PVA, before doing anything - it may be overkill, but dampness sinking into MDF causes warping & the clay not sticking very well!
What sort of clay are you using? I use DAS air drying clay - applying only thin coats & allowing to really dry in a cool dry place before going onto the next coat, this should prevent cracking when drying. If the base isn't rigid enough, then it will flex & the clay will fall off.................... ( bitter experience ). To minimise use of clay, you can make cores out of thin wood, or plasticard, cut to shape, then the clay applied over the top.
If you're a picture framer, then edging the MDF base with reversed beading should be a doddle - it gives a neat edge ( as you probably already know )
Dave
Hi Dave, yes using DAS. Hobbycraft are offering a 3 for 1 price at the moment if anyone is interested

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Must admit that for my 2nd dio (I'm not an expert either!), I bought a few bottles of poster paints for the ground (red, yellow, blue, black and white - mixing gave me the full range of colours) can be mixed with PVA and water for various areas, most importantly - it's cheap and cheerful!
The suggestion of making sure that the base size is big enough is a good one - you soon run out of space!

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Hi Guys,
First of all I’d like to introduce myself. I’m an airbrush fine artist and self confessed “Normandy
campaign” nut. I find the dioramas that I’ve seen absolutely staggering and wanted to create a scene from the Normandy Bocage. I’ve already made a Panther in 1/35 which I’m about to paint and weather. I wanted to create a scene where the Panther was amongst the Bocage in a field with accompanying troops. With this in mind I wanted to know the best products to buy such as grass, mud effects, foliage etc. Luckily the airbrush side of things should be straightforward as I’ve been airbrushing now for over 10 years.
Thankyou for your comments
I too am a bit of a Normandy campaign nut and have built a few small vignettes to date. Bocage terrain is a tricky one as there is so much vegitation required. This is a nice example by Hiroyuki Kimura on FB
MK35 Editions are a good source of pre-made Normandy dio materials. Sold via FOG models they also sell some great diorama models and materials. I have many of their plaster buildings yet to incorporate into vignettes. https://fieldsofglorymodels.co.uk/collections/all?constraint=brand_mk35-editions#

As for modelling materials Sculptamold is a very accessible product for creating groundwork. It is essentially an expensive papier Mache. It does however come in dry form, so you add your own water mix depending on what you are creating. As already mentioned, adding some cheap artists acrylics to the mix will avoid the white spot syndrome of having to paint it after laying it down. Working in thin layers works best to speed up drying but is very flexible.

Das Clay is another quality product that you can use for creating groundworks.

You are in the right trade when it comes to base material as picture frames make excellent bases. I prefer the deep box frames myself as you get more inner surface area to attach the sides to if you like to raise the ground level, which always looks better presented IMO.

Balsa wood is also relatively cheap and easy to work with material. Great for making accessories framing vignettes and dioramas. Plastic card comes in all sorts of wonderful shapes and sizes. From thin sheets to complex profiles, it is a fantastic material to work with although decent ‘choppers’ to cut the card true and straight are expensive.

As far as vegetation goes, plenty of natural material can be utilised and preserving plants with Glycerine is a great way of keeping costs down. Just be aware of the scale effects when using them.

There are many manmade vegetation and fauna products for sale. Check out any quality model retailer’s diorama section for what is on offer. Grass mats are great. Static grass the railroad modellers favourite works well, although to avoid the flat appearance of laying it by hand a flocking machine of some sort will be required to give the grass a more natural appearance.

Styrofoam is a quality product that can be sculpted and manipulated to create buildings and there are many YouTube vids on the tinterweb that show what a versatile modelling material it is. In the right hands there are many amazing creations out there. Foamboard is another product that many use to frame scale buildings

As for adhesives PVA glue for pretty much most things, Gator Glue makes some great products and UHU working best Styrofoam product.

Many of the mainstream modelling brands offer terrain surfacing products like mud and water etc.

Since I started creating more and more scenes for my models you get to find the inspirational modellers out there of whom some solely build dioramas. Take Per Olav Lund for instance. The guy is a miniature master https://www.facebook.com/per.o.lund

There is a guy who I found on Facebook who makes the most realistic 1/72 & 1/35 scale trees I have ever seen. They are not cheap but then he hand builds every one he makes. If you don’t have the time or inclination to make a tree yourself, check this guy out http://drzewamodelarstwo.pl/en/

Finally, if you haven’t already heard of him, please watch this modelling legend work his magic and tell me you’re not impressed. Apparently, it was his first attempt

First Name
Steven
I too am a bit of a Normandy campaign nut and have built a few small vignettes to date. Bocage terrain is a tricky one as there is so much vegitation required. This is a nice example by Hiroyuki Kimura on FB
MK35 Editions are a good source of pre-made Normandy dio materials. Sold via FOG models they also sell some great diorama models and materials. I have many of their plaster buildings yet to incorporate into vignettes. https://fieldsofglorymodels.co.uk/collections/all?constraint=brand_mk35-editions#

As for modelling materials Sculptamold is a very accessible product for creating groundwork. It is essentially an expensive papier Mache. It does however come in dry form, so you add your own water mix depending on what you are creating. As already mentioned, adding some cheap artists acrylics to the mix will avoid the white spot syndrome of having to paint it after laying it down. Working in thin layers works best to speed up drying but is very flexible.

Das Clay is another quality product that you can use for creating groundworks.

You are in the right trade when it comes to base material as picture frames make excellent bases. I prefer the deep box frames myself as you get more inner surface area to attach the sides to if you like to raise the ground level, which always looks better presented IMO.

Balsa wood is also relatively cheap and easy to work with material. Great for making accessories framing vignettes and dioramas. Plastic card comes in all sorts of wonderful shapes and sizes. From thin sheets to complex profiles, it is a fantastic material to work with although decent ‘choppers’ to cut the card true and straight are expensive.

As far as vegetation goes, plenty of natural material can be utilised and preserving plants with Glycerine is a great way of keeping costs down. Just be aware of the scale effects when using them.

There are many manmade vegetation and fauna products for sale. Check out any quality model retailer’s diorama section for what is on offer. Grass mats are great. Static grass the railroad modellers favourite works well, although to avoid the flat appearance of laying it by hand a flocking machine of some sort will be required to give the grass a more natural appearance.

Styrofoam is a quality product that can be sculpted and manipulated to create buildings and there are many YouTube vids on the tinterweb that show what a versatile modelling material it is. In the right hands there are many amazing creations out there. Foamboard is another product that many use to frame scale buildings

As for adhesives PVA glue for pretty much most things, Gator Glue makes some great products and UHU working best Styrofoam product.

Many of the mainstream modelling brands offer terrain surfacing products like mud and water etc.

Since I started creating more and more scenes for my models you get to find the inspirational modellers out there of whom some solely build dioramas. Take Per Olav Lund for instance. The guy is a miniature master https://www.facebook.com/per.o.lund

There is a guy who I found on Facebook who makes the most realistic 1/72 & 1/35 scale trees I have ever seen. They are not cheap but then he hand builds every one he makes. If you don’t have the time or inclination to make a tree yourself, check this guy out http://drzewamodelarstwo.pl/en/

Finally, if you haven’t already heard of him, please watch this modelling legend work his magic and tell me you’re not impressed. Apparently, it was his first attempt
A remarkable reply, thankyou.

I have recently acquired some Sculptamould which is actually difficult to purchase at the moment. I have yet to use it but I do have plenty of Styrofoam, I bought the Proxxon table hot wire cutter to help. There are some incredible resin ready made buildings out there but i'd like to try and build my own from scratch, the same applies to trees. 4D Modelshop offer a stunning "tree building" service as I can testify when I visited a few weeks ago.

I hadn't seen Per Olav's work before, incredible detail

Martin from Nightshift is an inspiration, the detail he goes into is insane. His "Cats and Dogs" Jagdpanther Normandy Dio is something I aspire to create. I'm actually a patreon