Finished: 1/32 'Stuka' for well less than a tenner!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I recently acquired four of the 1/32 21st Century Toy kits for the princely sum of £26.

I decided to build my 'Stuka' 100% out of the box (not even any harnesses),with the kit decals. I've finished it as the well known (well there's a couple of photos!) Ju87R-2 Trop,coded T6+DP,of 6./StG2 based in Libya in mid 1941.

Here's the best of the photos I've used for reference.

My effort to duplicate that.

And my usual traditional 'walkaround'

Port Front Quarter:

Port Side:

Port Rear Quarter:

Starboard Rear Quarter:

Starboard Front Quarter:

I reckon that the kit makes a pretty decent looking model. You obviously won't get the detail of a kit costing literally ten times as much but I'll be putting this on my shelves quite happily.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent work as usual Steve. I have this kit in my stash too. Although i'm going to do a BoB version

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Wow Steve - you have really captured the original.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top result steve, ivr got one of these in the stash too, as well as the old revell 1/32 kit too. Ill certainly be using your build and pics for reference, cheers tony p.s. 5 stars from me

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Me like that a lot! and for £7.50! I can quite understand why you will put that on display it looks very good indeed.

Nice one Steve.

Ian M...

....I'm off to look at the price on the 1/48 scale versions.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Ill certainly be using your build and pics for reference, cheers tony p.s. 5 stars from me
Thanks chaps.

Tony the upper surface and to some extent starboard camo is a best guess. Some is visible in the photos but not much.

I don't buy the RLM 65 that some profiles show on the rudder. The rudder is clearly turned to starboard and catching the sun.

I think 21st CT got the snake colour about right. I have seen red snakes but I think sand is more likely. It's not the same as the oversprayed tropical camo so I made my RLM 79 (sand) lighter than the decals.

The camo took ages as I applied a complete 70/71 splinter scheme in enamels (White Ensign) and then oversprayed the 79 in Xtracrylix. It made it easier to scrub off some of the 79 for weathering.

Noone ever seems to get the over painted fuselage balkenkreuz but it is obvious in the photograph!

I went for white underside wing tips because they are possible and,more importantly,look nice. It's another guess. There certainly isn't a white theatre band around the fuselage.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Steve,

Really nice, and OOB too. Gives it that "when I was a kid" feel.

The comparison shot with the photo is a nice idea.

If I can find some photos of the planes I've built, this might make a nice thread.

What do you think ?

5 stars on the build.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks chaps.Tony the upper surface and to some extent starboard camo is a best guess. Some is visible in the photos but not much.

I don't buy the RLM 65 that some profiles show on the rudder. The rudder is clearly turned to starboard and catching the sun.

I think 21st CT got the snake colour about right. I have seen red snakes but I think sand is more likely. It's not the same as the oversprayed tropical camo so I made my RLM 79 (sand) lighter than the decals.

The camo took ages as I applied a complete 70/71 splinter scheme in enamels (White Ensign) and then oversprayed the 79 in Xtracrylix. It made it easier to scrub off some of the 79 for weathering.

Noone ever seems to get the over painted fuselage balkenkreuz but it is obvious in the photograph!

I went for white underside wing tips because they are possible and,more importantly,look nice. It's another guess. There certainly isn't a white theatre band around the fuselage.

Cheers

Steve
The old revell version has a red snake steve, but its a different aircraft (different code). Its still a nice kit though ,with a good engine and removeable cowlings on top and under the rad, and a bargain at £5!!! if it turns out anywhere near as good as yours ill be well satisfied , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The old revell version has a red snake steve,
Is it T6+CP? I remember a profile for that one with a red snake. There is no right and wrong anyway.

I've also got images of T6+AN. None of the tropical camouflage schemes are identical. I didn't spray the canopy frames RLM 79 either,simply because I don't believe that they would have been arsed to do all that masking in the field. Most modellers will heartily concur :smiling5:

I'll look forward to your Revell kit. I'm a bit averse to their kits but I've been eyeing up the old Revell 1/32 Bf109K which is sat on top of my cupboard. I've got a nice scheme for a 'Kurfurst' in mind.

Cheers

Steve

Edit. Thanks Ian,we must have crossed. Yes,I do like a Stuka too. Most Brits remember its withdrawal from the BoB in 1940 but it served throughout the war. Despite the limitations exposed by the RAF it was a successful aircraft.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The comparison shot with the photo is a nice idea.

If I can find some photos of the planes I've built, this might make a nice thread.

What do you think ?

Tony.
I think that could be interesting. I'm sure many of us work with photo references.

I got the idea of converting one of my dodgy photos to B+W,to match the original from Ron (Spanner570) who did it a while ago with some of his excellent dioramas. I was much impressed and discovered that it is really easy to do,even with bog standard software.

I'm really no photographer,if I can do it anyone can.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve

You kept that one quite I didn't even know you were building it! Looks great especially as it's O.T.B. Well done 5*

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Vaughan. It's been ongoing for a while,squeezed around work. I didn't do a build thread as,frankly,there's not much to build. This one was more about the camouflage and unusual markings.

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Is it T6+CP? I remember a profile for that one with a red snake. There is no right and wrong anyway.I've also got images of T6+AN. None of the tropical camouflage schemes are identical. I didn't spray the canopy frames RLM 79 either,simply because I don't believe that they would have been arsed to do all that masking in the field. Most modellers will heartily concur :smiling5:

I'll look forward to your Revell kit. I'm a bit averse to their kits but I've been eyeing up the old Revell 1/32 Bf109K which is sat on top of my cupboard. I've got a nice scheme for a 'Kurfurst' in mind.

Cheers

Steve

Edit. Thanks Ian,we must have crossed. Yes,I do like a Stuka too. Most Brits remember its withdrawal from the BoB in 1940 but it served throughout the war. Despite the limitations exposed by the RAF it was a successful aircraft.
Wasnt the revell 109k a reboxed hasegawa kit steve? I know the old 109 G is revells own but i do know they re boxed a hasegawa one as well.The stuka codes are T6 +MP

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The 1/32 Revell Bf109 k-4 kit that is a Hasegawa re-box is kit number 04702

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
T6+MP? Never seen that one. Seems like the whole Geschwader must have got snakes!

I've just checked the Bf109K kit and you are both correct. It is the reboxed Hasegawa one (04702). I've opened it up and was pleasantly surprised. All I've got to do now is get the silly Revell box closed again.

Cheers

Steve