Finished, Academy 1:72 Me 109 E

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've finished and managed to do it in November as well ! (I thought I might creep into December with this one) The Academy kit went together well, my only real complaint is the out of register decals. But I had no others, so they had to go on.

It appears the chap who flew this 109 survived the war having completed over 300 missions !

View attachment 22297View attachment 22298View attachment 22299View attachment 22301View attachment 22300View attachment 22296

View attachment 22295

I've never been keen on the 109 so this (non) GB was a good excuse to try one out. One of my daughters chose the camo scheme (one of three included in the kit) and I actually enjoyed the challenge of this scheme.

Regards

Colin M.........

View attachment 29152

View attachment 29153

View attachment 29154

View attachment 29155

View attachment 29156

View attachment 29157

View attachment 29158

3.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

I lik the faded paintwork look, the weathering has brought it down nicely. These are quite colourful aircraft and it is far too easy to have something a bit like a 'toy' look to it, this one certainly has not fallen into that trap, very nice build Colin.

M

msm2

Looks real good and a very different paint scheme. Top marks Colin.

Tony..

B

Bunkerbarge

Interesting to see yet another take on a 1/72nd 109, it certainly looks the part completed. How did it go together, good fit and, more important, is it better than the Tamiya?

Great paint job and effective weathering, not easy at 1/72nd.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job colin , great to see it in flight, pic 4 is my fave , shame academy dont provide a pilot though, still, great work ,cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin, thats a complicated colour scheme for any scale, definately deserves a 5 Star. Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nicely done Colin, the little Academy model looks to be a nice model and you've finished it very well. You can never have too many 109s!

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for taking time to have a look. I wasn't really keen on this model, in fact if it wasn't for the (non) GB I might never have done a 109. However, at the end of the day, it turned into an enjoyable build. The kit goes together well but is it better than a tamiya ? probably not, but the level of surface detail must be very close to the tamiya, at a reduced cost.

As Tony says it would have been nice to have a pilot, but Academy don't even have the option of having the landing gear stowed, so maybe they assume a pilot is not needed. To get the gear stowed, the wheels need to be reduced in thickness by half and the gear covers need modifying as well.

Will I do another 109 Steve? maybe, they do seem to have an amazing array of colour schemes used some of which are very eye catching.

The dark art of photography has let me down a bit here, getting some good pics was a nightmare in artificial light, but going outside and photographing a BoB 109 with snow as a back ground just didn't seem right !!

Regards

Colin M.......

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

You've done a real good job on getting a wheels up 109, I know what you mean about sanding wheels and gear to make them fit. Your pictures seem perfectly fine to me and anyway it's too cold to be outside!

You know once you start modelling 109s it starts to become a habit but you're right there's a vast number of interesting schemes and you seem to have picked one of the more interesting ones. The unit mark reminds makes me want to go and get some cornflakes!!!

Good brush work 109 Colin. Keep em coming

All the best

Paul

N

noble

Hi Colin i like the 109 the colour scheme has been nicely done i like the weathering.

scott

P

peter61_uk

That is a fantastic job.............. and personally I prefer the weathered look ........... I'm not really one for the pritine out of the factory look. But that's just a personal preference..........

Give yourself a gold star or something.

Cheers

Peter

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
That is a fantastic job.............. and personally I prefer the weathered look ........... I'm not really one for the pritine out of the factory look. But that's just a personal preference..........Give yourself a gold star or something.

Cheers

Peter
Thanks Peter,

I to prefer a 'dirty bird' ! Certaily not everyones cup of tea though.

Regards

Colin M.........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very, very nice Colin, can't wack a nice bit of weathering can you?

Ron