Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Excellent job Derek looks great :no1b:

F

Fenlander

Cracking job Derek. The Phantom is one of those iconic aircraft that really looks the business and you have captured the look so well. Nice to see a Navy version to, makes a change from the brown and green. Great build, love it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
thats a cracker! really nice build and super paint. Alway had a soft spot for Phantoms. Being a Royal Navy version makes it all the better!

Well done.

Ian m

C

Caledonia

John, Graham, Ian, Many thanks for your kind comments, I count myself lucky that I lived in an era when aviation took off in leaps and bounds. We almost went from the Spitfire/Hurricane to the Lightning and from the Lanc to the 3 V's in what seems like a blink of an eye. There were some very clever visionary people back then. Thanks again for viewing. Cheers Derek

R

Richard B

Beauty!

God I hope an F-4 turns up at Fairford this year!!!!!

Cheers

Rich

C

Caledonia

Hi Rich, Thanks for viewing, I used to see plenty of Phantoms at Lossiemouth and Leuchars in the late 60's, Royal Navy, RAF and USAF. What are you building at the moment? Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job derek ,well done.As ever youre finishing is very precise and a lovely paint job ,excellent! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very, very nice build Derek.

It is a pleasure to view your pictures. How all you fly guys have the patience and skill to fix all those decals to modern aircraft and do the detailed work in the cockpit is at times, mind boggling.....

Congratulations,

Ron

R

Richard B

\ said:
Hi Rich, Thanks for viewing, I used to see plenty of Phantoms at Lossiemouth and Leuchars in the late 60's, Royal Navy, RAF and USAF. What are you building at the moment? Cheers Derek
Hi Derek

yeah I'm hopeful for a greek or German F-4 this year at RIAT.

Just got my first kit in 20 years today (arrived via royal mail so had to wait a bit) its the new mould aix 1/72 hurricane mk11c.

cheers

Rich

C

Caledonia

Tony, Ron Many thanks for your kind words, coming from two Maestros they bring added value. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
How did I miss this ?? The Phantom, I feel, just looks right. It's a real looker in my book, and Derek you have done a fantastic job in building this example. Very impressed, excellent job.

regards

Colin M........

C

Caledonia

Colin, I appreciate your kind comments. To reply to your query, I attach a close-up of the exhaust. On my Phantom the Exhaust was a seperate moulding so I painted it before I fitted it. I used burnt iron to paint the whole exhaust. Then I masked off the central portion of the exhaust, and using a light pastel sludge I lightly applied it around either side of the masking. I used a 6mm hog haired brush to apply the pastel, see photo attached. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24025

View attachment 24026

Exhaust.jpg

Pastels.jpg

C

combatvf24

Very nice...very nice! I especially like the cockpit detail. Just a bang-up job! Makes me anticipate warmer weather when I can finally get out to my garage and attempt another kit myself.