Finished (sort of) Tamiya 1/48 F-15A Eagle

M

munkster

Well, a couple of bits to do but since this is my first "completed" build since returning to the hobby I am probably going to cut my losses and move onto something else and finish this one properly at a later date. Only a couple of minor things to do.

Not happy with the rough finish on the wings (should've sanded the primer which I obviously did from too far away), decals silvered quite badly in places and lack of patience/skill means there's bits that ought to have got filled but didn't. That said, overall, pretty pleased with it given my skill level and the age of the kit (1978). Main thing is that looks nice and anyone not in the know will probably not notice anything wrong!! Any comments or suggestions very welcome :smiling:

View attachment 26908View attachment 26909View attachment 26910View attachment 26911View attachment 26912View attachment 26913View attachment 26914View attachment 26915

View attachment 32787

View attachment 32788

View attachment 32789

View attachment 32790

View attachment 32791

View attachment 32792

View attachment 32793

View attachment 32794

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

H

Hunty22

Top job there fella.....well done. Whats next on the list?

M

munkster

Cheers! I perhaps should've chosen something a bit smaller, simpler and with fewer decals than this brute but you live and learn...

Whats next on the list?
Probably a 1/72 Academy Mig 23 Flogger however looking at the kit the tidiness of the mouldings are nowhere near as good as the Eagle despite its age. Either that or a Revell Me262 that a friend donated some brass parts for - although am fairly scared to use those at this stage in case I botch them up!

S

Sky Raider

Really good work there, i even like the shuttle in the back ground, is it steam? lol could do with a little weathering on it.

Andy

F

Fenlander

If that had been my first build after returning to modelling, I would have been overjoyed Munkster. Don't be too hard on yourself, you have a good looking build there. You know your mistakes, all you need to do is learn from them and move on. The silvering is an issue with any level of modeller but the best way of helping to prevent it is to gloss varnish the model or at least where the decals are going. Then put the decals on and use a good softening/setting agent like Microsol to 'melt' the decals into place. When dry, gloss over them again and them mat varnish (where appropriate) over all the model. No guarantees it will work every time, it can depend on the quality and make of the decals, but at least it gives you a fighting chance.

As for being scared of trying new things like brass, don't be scared just ask as many questions as you want and take your time. The weird thing about modelling is that just about anything can be done by anyone. OK, some can do some things better than others but everything is possible with a bit of confidence, a big helping of patience and the willingness to ask questions.

You have made a great start, it is all onwards and upwards from here.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Really nice job, and I take it you even had time to do a bit of ironing as it keeps moving :smiling3:

M

munkster

Hehe, nah, no ironing, just faffing! Thanks for all the comments... I did try and gloss the model before decals but used the Lakeland Klear-substitute that people have talked about so maybe it isn't all it's cracked up to be after all... And also used Microset and Microsol so will just have to see what happens next time!!

First Name
Dave
Nice looking model you've made there.As for silvering,ive ruined a few models in the past where the decals have silvered badly.Now I always gloss varnish my models first then apply the decals.If the decals are old (like the 20 year old ones I recently put on a Skyraider)or poor quality I use microsol and microset on them.I find this method works really well. recently bought some Kleer and coated a model with.It still looked matt and I wasn't impressed so didn't try decals on it.Although people on here swear by it so I don't doubt it works.I have used it on a canopy and it's brilliant for that.

B

Boldman

Sometimes you need 2 coats of Klear to get a good decal-ready gloss surface

C

Caledonia

Excellent effort mate, I always use Microscale Micro Gloss before Decaling; excellent stuff dries in minutes can be airbrushed or hand painted on. I built this kit roughly a year ago, as you say a very nice kit even if its a bit long in the tooth. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Like others have said, don't be hard on yourself, you have created a really good model there.

So OK the learning curve changes a touch now, but most of us here either learn something new, or adapt a method with each model we build. I've been back in modelling just over two years now and have only recently discovered the advantages of priming a model !!

Regards

Colin M.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
All that needs to be said has been said, so I will just say well done. It is a fine model and you have nowt to be ashamed over. I have worse.... I just dont show them off. :laughing:

Ian M

M

munkster

Hehe, thanks everyone. As I've said I think it does look nice, the "faults" are known to me and probably don't show up as readily in a photo. I guess I just look at some of the masterpieces by you guys on here and have high aspirations!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi munkster ( youll have to give us a name!) thats a fantastic build ,you should be well chuffed. Its a nice clean build with excellent paintwork and i didnt even notice the silvered decals. You say thats only your second build, im already looking forward to seeing the third, cheers tony

M

munkster

Cheers Tony - in actual fact I'm returning to my first attempt (1/72 Academy Spitfire XIVc) after stripping the paint off using Purisol as recommended by John on here. It's going really well I think (learned a lot on the F-15) so will post up when I'm done - just waiting for some resin bits for it after "the carpet monster" ate one bank of exhausts ages ago (cue tantrum)... I think a whole new kit would've been cheaper than the resin bits but where's the fun in that??

ps - I'm "Rob" in real life, whatever that is... ;)

P

Philbo69

Jaysus! Kinda feeling the pressure about my first aircraft build in my return looking at these! I reckon you have done a pretty top job here mate!