Finished Typhoon 1b 1/48

M

msm2

Love it. The grass is excellent,may have to copy it sometime in the future. 5 Stars from me.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's another smashing build Kressy. I might suggest you have a look at trying to drill out the ends of the cannon barrels. I don't know if that's possible at 1/48 - I've not got any to look at in my stash so I don't know how big the diameter is. The smallest drills I've seen are 0.3 mm diameter which may be too big.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice Typhoon Kresten.

In my ignorance of things Typhoon, my first though was "Where are the top invasion stripes?" Then I remembered some had them, some didn't!! Yours are very neatly done...

Picture 5 shows the weathering nicely and in my opinion, just the right amount. I particularily like the 'chipping' around the air intake.

The base is just right too, simple but effective and doesn't distract from the model.

Well done.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice Typhoon Kresten. A very nice finish and the weathering is nicw and restrained.

Just to clear up a point - the stripes on the under wings are actually pre-invasion recognition markings and not D-day stripes. You have depicted them well - the black markings are thinner than the white stripes. I only know this though my research on the Typhoons I'm building, apparently these stripes were applied to try and prevent our own AA guns mistaking the new Typhoons (I think the 1st 400mph fighter in the RAF) for FW190s!

Again, nice work Kresten my 2 Tiffys have got some impressive standard to live up to.

Cheers

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good stuff Paul, thanks for correcting my error....I can now go forth to the ale 'ouse with the supreme confidence, and be a pre and post invasion stripe bore! lol...

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent work there Kresten. Was a pleasure following this build of yours

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Good stuff Paul, thanks for correcting my error....I can now go forth to the ale 'ouse with the supreme confidence, and be a pre and post invasion stripe bore! lol...Ron
I thought exactly as you did Ron and thought these were invasion stripes until I read a few books! These recognition marks were applied to the early Tiffys and I think I'm right in thinking that this particular Typhoon would have been used on raiding parties across the channel - against things like radar installations. This may be why there isn't any rockets supplied with the kit as it may be too early for there deployment. I hope I haven't bored anyone I just think this kind of history is fascinating.

Enjoy your pint Ron! Lol

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolute cracker, great finish, excellent masking and I really like the mudied grass base. That works really well and shows a great understanding of the scenario that malkes it look so very realistic.

The only point I would offer is that the lower fuselage joint is noticeable, I don't know if this is because the fuselage was a challenge to put together, but it is obviously hidden when the model is on the base.

Lovely paint job though and perfect weathering.

K

Kressy13

Hi all,

Thanks guys, really means a lot. Makes the effort worth while too. Thanks for the info on the stripes Paul. I didn't know that either. Always good to learn new things. I had fun with this build and taking less than a month is fairly quick for me so i'm happy. Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Kresten

N

noble

Kreston this is a lovely typhoon, well painted and weathered and i also love the base, well done .

scott

C

Caledonia

Hi Kresten, Lovely aircraft beautifully finished, 5 Star from me. Cheers Derek