First Airbrush advice / opinion

M

macybrok

Hi anyone and everyone

First time posting.

I have just started in the scale modelling world, made a couple of models as a kid but nothing serious...I'm 32 now and have suddenly developed the patience to get stuck into some modelling.

I'm currently working on a Revell 1/48 A-10 'Warthog' which I am really enjoying.

Anyway, I shall get to the point. Been looking at airbrushes and doing alot of reading. I get the idea behind the types of brushes and that if money wasn't a concern I should aim to purchase an Iwata airbrush kit. However, I am a beginning so such kit would be wasted upon me.

What do people think of the following kits, the problem with the last kit is that its £20 postage:

AIRBRUSH KIT + AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR AIR BRUSH COMPRESSOR on eBay (end time 10-Feb-11 07:56:40 GMT)

Airbrush Compressor Kit I - Airbrush Compressors | Airbrushes | Compressors

Thanks for any help, advice, is there anything else I should be looking at???

M

msm2

Hi. It would be better to go for one that has a tank with it.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
The airbrush is ok but when it comes to getting spare parts or new needles you might be a bit stuck, as for the compressor look for the AS189 for the simple reason it has a receiver tank and it should not only last you longer because it fills the tank up then the motor cuts out but with having the tank it will stop the pulsing effect. I did a review on it some time ago which you can find here

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
By the time I had wrote that Tony beat me to it :smiling3:

M

munkster

I bought something similar from Absolute Airbrush (via eBay too) a couple of weeks ago; have yet to have the clear time/space to actually USE the damned thing yet but it looks great and they delivered really quickly. I got the one with two airbrushes, one gravity feed, one siphon - I think I linked to it in a post a little further down this sub-forum :smiling:

W

wanna_be_aviator

I have a similar set up and works great for me (also a beginner) specially the compressor with the tank. Works great! As for the airbrush, I would suggest that if you could get two, one siphon fed and one gravity fed, it could be the best. the siphon fed with a nozzle not bigger than 0.5 mm for wide spray and the gravity fed one for details, with a 0.3 mm nozzle. I myself should have got the wide spray one first, then upgrade to a detail one as now I am having a harder time using a detail airbrush for spraying larger areas. I am learning my lessons the hard way.

cheers

marcos