First Airbrush

First Name
Gary
Just about to use my airbrush for the first time. Using Tamiya paints roughly how much to thin it ? That milk consistency ? Or I might use Vallejo Air. Can that be used neat or thinned ? Thanks

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Start off 50/50 for Tamiya assuming you are using their thinners.

For Vallejo Air, yes can be used from the bottle but I add a drop of their own flow enhancer and a drop of their thinners just for good measure :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gary

This is the best video I've personally come across on paint consistencies, not to mention all the other brilliant things he can do.

Good luck with the AB.

Andrew

First Name
Gary
Simple but great video. I can go out and but some thinners but not sure what brand my local shop stocks. But I'm going to assume that thinners has the same chemical compunds. So I'll see what he does. But I have a huge bottle of iso Alcohol so it would be handy if I can use that ?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simple but great video. I can go out and but some thinners but not sure what brand my local shop stocks. But I'm going to assume that thinners has the same chemical compunds. So I'll see what he does. But I have a huge bottle of iso Alcohol so it would be handy if I can use that ?

Sorry Garry not all thinners are the same, even with acrylics. There is a thread on here that explains it. Will try and find it for you.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Sorry Garry not all thinners are the same, even with acrylics. There is a thread on here that explains it. Will try and find it for you.

Andrew

First Name
Gary
Thanks Peter i do remember reading about Iso a few times. Essentially its a carrier and doesn't react with any acrylic paint. I will buy some brand thinners just to be sure I have it. Busy masking like the Phantom of the opera at the moment

Last edited:
First Name
Gary

Andrew

Thats interesting Andrew. I'll avoid any non Tamiya or Vallejo thinners then just to be safe. I know acrylics can have different formulations.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Gary,
Now I am really going to confuse you - with Vallejo/Panzer Aces etc I use plain tap water but I have mixed in ordinary washing up liquid.
But it all comes down to what works for you, you will eventually end up with different manufacturers paint and thinners. I have a bottle of Ultimate Airbrush thinners and Ultimate Airbrush cleaner I can use if all else fails.
Mike.

First Name
Gary
Thats fine Mike. I'm going to practice first with water and then ISo. And keep a damp cotton bud if the tip gets caked. I assume the washing up liquid aids flow ? Having some cleaner and thinners around is always a good back up to me

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gary

To add even more confusion to the topic you can also make your own at a fraction of the cost of the branded items. Not tried it myself but worth a look and if I recall correctly this example uses isopropyl alcohol, which your say you have.

There are a few vids like this online so have a look around.

Andrew