First attempt at figure building/painting.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
There are a number of informative books dedicated to figure painting out there that may help in developing techniques in different painting mediums like oils, acrylics etc.
This is a nice first attempt model. So good luck with the next one.
Thank you. I have since done 2 other figures which are in the completed builds (WW1-present) section. I have also found an excellent book on painting WW2 German figures. G

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Gav, out of interest, what was the book?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Gav, alway worthwhile to have references on good books.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
First ever figure has had a makeover! Wasn't happy with the face so repainted that plus added some extra detail.

Regards,

Gavin.

Attachments

• 20221008_180203.jpg
    20221008_180203.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221008_180227.jpg
    20221008_180227.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20221008_180242.jpg
    20221008_180242.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221008_180306.jpg
    20221008_180306.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 55

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking alright Gavin .

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just had a re-read of this thread. Great work, Gav.

You're at that exciting point in your figure painting journey where you can fairly easily make some massive leaps forward - the improvements you've made to this figure are dramatic, for example, and the smaller scale work you've done since is likewise much improved.

I've been down a similar path myself over the last year or so. From my experience you'll discover a new technique (like the graduated flesh tones you've added to this figure) that totally changes the resulting finish - without needing a ton of practice! The challenge then is to recognise that that new technique offers huge scope for refinement - and that you've just added a whole new layer of complexity to your painting!

That's when the practising makes all the difference. Each technique can then be worked on to improve the outcome.

I don't think you've done any "Under construction" threads for your figures. Give it a try. I found doing this enormously helpful, as it means I can ask questions as the project progresses. On here, you'll get the answers you need, when you need them, in real time, rather than after the event, as happens with 'Completed figures' threads.

What equipment do you use? I see you're transitioning away from Tamiya paints towards Vallejo, and have been gently guided away from the "tiny details require minuscule brushes" approach - both good ideas. But what else?

From my experience I'd suggest improvements in equipment in the following areas can all potentially yield big improvements. These will ensure your practice time is spent to best advantage:

• Quality sable brushes
  • Good brush hygiene and storage
  • A wet palette
  • Mediums (not psychic ones, but glaze medium, flow improver, thinner, retarder)
  • Good lighting
  • Magnification

I got great advice on here on most of these topics, mainly from the redoubtable Tim Marlow.

Really good to see your smaller scale figures, too. Moving back and forth between different scales can help refine techniques, as they bring different challenges to their application.

Keep up the good work!

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just had a re-read of this thread. Great work, Gav.

You're at that exciting point in your figure painting journey where you can fairly easily make some massive leaps forward - the improvements you've made to this figure are dramatic, for example, and the smaller scale work you've done since is likewise much improved.

I've been down a similar path myself over the last year or so. From my experience you'll discover a new technique (like the graduated flesh tones you've added to this figure) that totally changes the resulting finish - without needing a ton of practice! The challenge then is to recognise that that new technique offers huge scope for refinement - and that you've just added a whole new layer of complexity to your painting!

That's when the practising makes all the difference. Each technique can then be worked on to improve the outcome.

I don't think you've done any "Under construction" threads for your figures. Give it a try. I found doing this enormously helpful, as it means I can ask questions as the project progresses. On here, you'll get the answers you need, when you need them, in real time, rather than after the event, as happens with 'Completed figures' threads.

What equipment do you use? I see you're transitioning away from Tamiya paints towards Vallejo, and have been gently guided away from the "tiny details require minuscule brushes" approach - both good ideas. But what else?

From my experience I'd suggest improvements in equipment in the following areas can all potentially yield big improvements. These will ensure your practice time is spent to best advantage:

• Quality sable brushes
  • Good brush hygiene and storage
  • A wet palette
  • Mediums (not psychic ones, but glaze medium, flow improver, thinner, retarder)
  • Good lighting
  • Magnification

I got great advice on here on most of these topics, mainly from the redoubtable Tim Marlow.

Really good to see your smaller scale figures, too. Moving back and forth between different scales can help refine techniques, as they bring different challenges to their application.

Keep up the good work!
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the excellent, comprehensive feedback.

Yeah, learning to carefully and methodically paint a face with different flesh tones is indeed a game changer, because as you all know, the face on a figure is pretty much key to the final outcome, so it's imperative to get it right.

Yeah I have done one under construction sequence, this was for the German officers. I have been toying with the idea of doing another one for the next build, keep an eye out for this...

My equipment set up is fairly simple:-

A couple of decent sets of detail brushes (H & S I think they're called), for the 1/72 scale I used 000 size for 90% of the project.
No wet palette , just a basic mixing palette. I only started doing this a year ago so didn't invest much into the hobby because I didn't expect it to take off like this! Will consider buying a wet palette now that I'm gonna keep doing the hobby, it wasn't just a transient fad that I initially thought!!
Mixture of Vallejo and Tamiya paints, retarder when using Tamiya.
The usual construction hand tools plus consumables.
Tamiya extra thin cement is fantastic.
A decent magnifying light.
Blu tac is indispensable for figure modelling!

Yes I consider Yourself and Tim masters of this craft, amongst many others on here. Your feedback is much appreciated.

As for the next project I've been wanting to paint a figure of the Drill Sergeant from Full Metal Jacket but can't find one for sale anywhere on the internet!!!

Kind regards,

Gavin.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No problem, Gavin. Sounds like you're moving in the right direction on all fronts.

Tim has been figure painting for many more years than me, so I will continue to defer to him as the Master on here. His work is of a higher standard and quality than mine, as you'd expect after all those years of practice! (He'll protest, but it's true).

Keep enjoying it!
Paul

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Gavin. That update has worked well.

Well done.

Andrew

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Gavin,
For a first attempt you get a gold star, and with practice will come the skills. Have a look on youtube for figure modellers like Bill Horan and Steve Kirtly et al and their tips and tutorials.
Mike.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent face work Gavin. He reminds me of Rodney from Fools and Horses. If you want technique videos, rather than just “Here’s how I painted this“, look up Vince Ventruella on YouTube. As to the full metal jacket guy, I’ve seen a bust of him somewhere but I can’t remember where. I’ll have a look around and get back to you if I find one.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Gavin. There’s a Hartmann here……
No idea of quality though.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great job first time out, I've done a few anime figures so 'realism' isn't as critical

Miko (anime fan)
Excellent face work Gavin. He reminds me of Rodney from Fools and Horses. If you want technique videos, rather than just “Here’s how I painted this“, look up Vince Ventruella on YouTube. As to the full metal jacket guy, I’ve seen a bust of him somewhere but I can’t remember where. I’ll have a look around and get back to you if I find one.
Thanks for your compliments both of you. I have already painted a bust of Gunny from FMJ Tim, it's finished and uploaded here on the completed figures forum. Thanks for the recommendations all the same.

Kind Regards,

Gavin.