89 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201130_221543.jpg
    20201130_221543.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 116

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for the comments guys,my kids are about the only people really see my models and until I make a model of something with a touch screen they got no interest lol

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mark,
That is a great result and especially given it's a first attempt. If I can offer some advice use a soft flat brush slightly dampened almost dry with oil turps and brush back towards the bolt heads to remove the tide line this will leave just the shadow at the joint HTH.

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks for the comments guys,my kids are about the only people really see my models and until I make a model of something with a touch screen they got no interest lol

Think this & next generation will have lossed the hands on Mark. Sad as it is so rewarding to use your imagination & hand skills to produce not only models but also all the DIY persuits. It has been a joy in life to do all of this. I have passed on to my eldest son, 55, & he has followed in my foot steps.

Low & behold my youngest son, 42, who I thought computer bound for ever (he is a film editor) has, he married late, begun to renovate their house. amazed completly. Can this be happening. Strengthen floors decor shelves. Whoops there we are Mark. Time yet

Laurie

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mark,
That is a great result and especially given it's a first attempt. If I can offer some advice use a soft flat brush slightly dampened almost dry with oil turps and brush back towards the bolt heads to remove the tide line this will leave just the shadow at the joint HTH.
Thanks, I was quite pleased with rust but not so much with the wash as not really having a clue what I was doing at the time I used an acrylic wash over acrylic paint! Still, live and learn.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks, I was quite pleased with rust but not so much with the wash as not really having a clue what I was doing at the time I used an acrylic wash over acrylic paint! Still, live and learn.
I would'nt worry to much Mark, that applies to many of us as well !

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
This was my first attempt at any weathering, and It wasn't long ago
This is very nice work. Can I ask how you got the effect on the cupola? Is that weathered with pencil? Sponge chipping? Look forward to seeing your future builds. Real talent.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
This is very nice work. Can I ask how you got the effect on the cupola? Is that weathered with pencil? Sponge chipping? Look forward to seeing your future builds. Real talent.
Thanks for the comments :thumb2:
I brushed on a little matt varnish where I wanted the rust and applied rust pigments to it then essential dry brushed it out to blend and then when dry I dry brushed some iron silver around the areas that would have constant wear.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thanks for the comments :thumb2:
I brushed on a little matt varnish where I wanted the rust and applied rust pigments to it then essential dry brushed it out to blend and then when dry I dry brushed some iron silver around the areas that would have constant wear.
Very nice effect. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be giving that a go myself :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mark
Very nice. You have certainly got an eye for a realistic look. Earlier Scottie mentioned the tide marks. You say you used an acrylic wash and water based washes are susceptible to tide marks. Acrylic washes dry quickly and once dry are almost impossible to adjust. Now I know that many use acrylic washes and get excellent results but I find enamels or oils are much more forgiving. They are adjustable for quite a long time using a brush just dampened with thinner/white spirit. When used over an acrylic varnish they will not affect the underlying paint. Have a look at Steve Jones's builds on this forum. His weathering is excellent and award winning. He also has a very useful YouTube channel HERE
Please don't take this as negative comment - just my thoughts.
Jim

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mark,
First stop worrying.
If that was a first attempt then there really is nothing to worry about.
To get rid of the 'shine' use a good Matt varnish to tone it all down, I uste AK 183 Ultra Matte varnish sprayed all over and not too thick.
With a lot of weathering it is knowing when to stop, and a lot of modellers do overdo it, yours is just there. Now for the next one.
Mike.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Mark
Very nice. You have certainly got an eye for a realistic look. Earlier Scottie mentioned the tide marks. You say you used an acrylic wash and water based washes are susceptible to tide marks. Acrylic washes dry quickly and once dry are almost impossible to adjust. Now I know that many use acrylic washes and get excellent results but I find enamels or oils are much more forgiving. They are adjustable for quite a long time using a brush just dampened with thinner/white spirit. When used over an acrylic varnish they will not affect the underlying paint. Have a look at Steve Jones's builds on this forum. His weathering is excellent and award winning. He also has a very useful YouTube channel HERE
Jim
Hill
Hi Mark
Jim

Hi Jim,
This was done quite some time back when I didn't know any better,I've since been using enamels for weathering although I have recently started using acrylic washes for certain things like my zil 157 engine because of its quick drying and if you wet the whole area I had no problems with tide marks,had no reactions with the varnish either,have started using acrylic wash mix with pigment for wheels/tyres and seem to get on better than I did with enamel.
Nothing negative taken Jim, appreciate your input mate.