First Build Log - breaking the cycle... Pak 38 - Italeri

B

backonthecase

\ said:
I certainly did enjoy the build Stuart........Please sir, can I follow anudder?Ron
I'm not sure if I have any model cows in the stash, but I'm sure I'll think of something.... lol

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Righto then chaps. Got a little update for you. So I've got matt coat on the Pak and I'm just waiting for wheels and I'll scuff it with pigments quickly.. While that's in the works, I've started a small dio base for it.

It's varnished thick plywood with the edges masked, some polystyrene and plaster to make the basic shape.

Then with 3 different variations of these

sprayed onto the base in random patterns, we have this

Looking toward something like this

Then with 2 varieties of these (again, unmeasured...)

We have this

It has however covered up most of the sprayed colour, but it was only used to provide a base colour. There are going to be a lot of colour variations on this, provided my patience holds up. The remaining pink sections are just bare plaster and are to be base-coloured green, as they are to be grassed over. The brown part is going to be the muddy remains of the crew having scraped their dug-out from the mound. I also have a planked revetment for the sheer side of the mound. I'm going for a prepared, long-term position, not a hastily dug-in one.

This is my first attempt at a dio, so any tips, comments, criticism etc all welcome.

Stuart

F

Fenlander

Looks like you have it in hand as it is Stuart. Have to say that Pak placed on the base looks stunning.

B

backonthecase

Good stuff Graham, glad it's got your approval! I'll keep posting pics as I continue the base - I may have quite a few questions for you veteran dio builders!!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Righty then... update time

Got the Pak finished thanks to the generosity of a shark-based lifeform :P It's missing the sill at the bottom of the shield, but it's all in hand

The tyres still need touching up, but I'll sort that with a pastel wash methinks

...And the dio is coming along, I glued some Javis "Coarse Green" and "Autumn mix" down with PVA, glued in the revetment planks and supports, again with PVA.

Then after cutting some tracks for the tyres and spades, mixed up some plaster, real dirt, burnt umber acrylic poster paint, some old lumpy tamiya red-brown, some "Miniature Paints" earth brown and dark grey, black and brown chalk pastels, Russian Earth and Dark Earth Mig pigments, PVA and water, made some mud flavoured soup to dab on with some old brushes...

I'm pretty happy with the result, but we shall see what happens on drying...

Thanks for watching!

Stitch

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been following this from the start and it's great to see it nearly there Stuart.

The cannon looks really nice and I can see the dio. is going to compliment it just right. I await the finished job, so don't be too long mate!

Ron

F

Fenlander

I am with Ron on this. There is some thought going into this and it shows. You have, even at this stage, captured the dug out emplacement ideal for a tank ambush and a quick escape. Really looking forward to the project progressing.

B

backonthecase

Ron, thank you, it's good to know that you've been following, and that you see what I'm trying to creat I'll make the updates a bit more frequent now, as I have next week off work. I should have it good to go very soon, but it's the final details and subtle touches that take the time and patience, and since this is my 1st dio, I want to make sure I've at least got the fundamentals in place :smiling3:

Graham I hoped that's what I conveyed - I'm going for a not-long-prepared, but well thought position, where a "tactical withdrawal" is possible as well as the ambush potential, i.e. hidden by the mound!

Keep watching and I'll try not to disappoint!!

Stuart

N

noble

Stuart i've just found this and been reading through and i have to say mate top notch so far i love it and can't wait to see the finished result.

scott

B

backonthecase

Well Scott I have to say thanks both for your comments and for the Gazala and Respite From Battle dios you did, they did give me ideas and inspiration!

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Li'l update for y'all!

I've added some long grass (brush bristles, not entirely happy with how it looks, any tips welcome), painted the shorter grass in various shades of green etc, painted up the ammo box, added small areas of wet mud (coating of Klear) and I'm in the process of doing the figures (only using gunner and loader, due to space constraints.

I should add that the mud is lighter in the photos than in real life, I musta overexposed the photos slightly

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yep, Gern's right Dave...I like the wheel tracks in the sand, easily forgot!

Re your grass, it looks O.K. to me but if you're not completely happy how about some moss from the garden? I use it all the time and if you root around you might find a type which looks a lot like grass, try looking on a rock, old paving slabs or bricks. This is where the finer mosses grow.

As you have omitted a couple of figures will you have room for the 'Scale Models trademark'? lol

Nice work.

Ron

B

backonthecase

Scale MOdels trademark? What be that then???

hmmm moss you say? There was some on that very slab i used to take the photos... i will investigate in the morning!!

Glad you guys like it!! I'll get the figures started and update you again!

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The 'Trademark' is a bucket in the scale of the diorama! I foolishly put one in a dio. last year and mentioned that all dioramas posted should have a bucket...

This was taken up by one and all and is now standard issue, so be warned..Omit at your peril. lol

Looking closer at your pictures Stuart, the moss on your slabs looks dead on to me. Worth a try at least.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
"Looking closer at your pictures Stuart, the moss on your slabs looks dead on to me. Worth a try at least."

I agree. Some of the bits you can see even have spindly 'tree trunks' growing. With care you might be able to get those off the slab in one piece and just insert them into your existing grass.

Gern

B

backonthecase

Haha Ron I actually do have a bucket or 2 kickin about, from the Tamiya "jerry can" set!! So it'll be going in, does that make me one of the scale-models "lads" then??? Hahaha!!

I'll give the moss a go today and see what I can rustle up! What do you guys do with it? cos just takin it off the slab would just leave it looking a bit too "rounded" and unnatural... maybe tearing it and adding clumps...? Help this is my first dio!!! lol

thanks a lot guys, it's feedback that keeps me building ;)

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Haha Ron I actually do have a bucket or 2 kickin about, from the Tamiya "jerry can" set!! So it'll be going in, does that make me one of the scale-models "lads" then??? Hahaha!!I'll give the moss a go today and see what I can rustle up! What do you guys do with it? cos just takin it off the slab would just leave it looking a bit too "rounded" and unnatural... maybe tearing it and adding clumps...? Help this is my first dio!!! lol

thanks a lot guys, it's feedback that keeps me building ;)

Stuart
At the risk of complicating things a bit Stuart, you will find various different mosses knocking about in your garden. There is one sort that is more bushy than the 'Slab' one. Have a look around. I have never ripped them up so I can't comment on how it would look, give it a go and see how it looks.

As you intend to use the 'Club bucket' in you diorama it gives me great pleasure to welcoming you to the Brotherhood. Your membership badge and 10 yearly newsletter is on the way!!

Cheers,

Ron

B

backonthecase

Hmm well it's a sunny day so if i can get out of my deckchair and get the beer put down im going moss hunting!! lol

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Guys, good call on the moss idea! I found some that looked quite bushy, so I uplifted, gave them a bath in acetone to kill any stowaways and stuck them on! Looks much better I think and they have some natural colouring to them (dunno how long that'll last though)..

Photos soon!

Thanks guys!

Stuart