First Impressions

First Name
Gary
Well that was interesting.

I found the airbrushes both a Clarke bottom feeder and a Fengda gravity fed both easy to set up and use. I think I prefer the gravity fed but that was mainly down to a bad paint mix on the Clarke. Both worked fine after cleaning and starting again. The actual painting was also easier than I thought and I had to question if I was doing it right. I didn't even practice, just loaded paint and sprayed against a paper towel while I played with the needle and paint balance. I think thats the good thing is that whilst experience will come it is a fairly straight forward job which is credit to the airbrush design. Resprayed the underside of my Hurricane and it worked well. I think I still need to get comfortable with mixing the paint. I found IPA doesnt seem to mix well with Vallejo Air as it tended to clump a bit. But with water and a couple of drops of flow improver I had much more control and consistency and no clogging. Stripping down and cleaning the airbrushes was a doddle and quite simple really.

So far so good and I feel more confident than I did before and was over analysing the potential issues. Next comes experience of course and that, obviously, takes time.

First Name
Gary
The Clarke is a nicely balanced airbrush Alan. I had the air pressure set at 20psi. I went for thin coats first then used the paint neat. Both were fine but the thincoats build up nicely but to be fair I found the neat worked just as well with a lower paint flow. Overall and I'm not being cocky, far from it, it was fun and I was impressed by how accurate the spray is allowing me to spray right up the edges of wheels etc and not overspray. I feel happy to use it on the real thing.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That's the joy of using something that's 0.3mm. It gives you a finer control (at the right psi), allowing you to spray nearer.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
It all takes time, I think we all feel a bit scared trying anything new, but I find the airbrush invaluable now. Onwards and upwards buddy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Glad to hear your first test went well. Don't worry if you run into the of hiccup to start with like I did last year, it will all come together pretty quickly!! Keep up the good work.

Andrew

First Name
Gary
Thanks guys. The "easy" part was setting up and using the airbrush not the kind of work that I see in your builds. But I'll stick to base coats initially and maybe the odd camo. Although I do nice camoflauge shapes with a brush. But nothing ventured etc