First powered flight on another world

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Normally i'm all over things done on other planets/asteroids or anything to do with space. But i have to admit i was rather "Meh" over this. I sort of see how it could open up more discoveries. But it just hasn't gripped me.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Think of the engineering though. Mars has a very thin atmosphere so the engineering solution used to generate sufficient lift here could increase the efficiency of terrestrial helicopters.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Think of the engineering though. Mars has a very thin atmosphere so the engineering solution used to generate sufficient lift here could increase the efficiency of terrestrial helicopters.
If I recall correctly only 0.1% as thick as Earth's. Based we're spinning at 2,400rpm. They apparently used two contra rotating blades.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA IM INTO anything to do with space i love it even had me own 4inh reflector telescope an it was fantastic to look at the rings of saturn in all their colours but its now got to cold to be out in the evenings to star or planet watch an an yea i missed it
chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

Without going deeply into propulsion and aerodynamics. Mars also has only a 1/3 of the gravity that the earth does. So it would require vastly less 'lift' to counter the weight and gravitational effect to get airborne. High cord and counter rotating props as mentioned above plays right into this.