First project: Sea King HAR3

First Name
Steve
Well it’s arrived, my first project for over 55 years.
Now searching to see what I need to paint and make and another extras.
Looking forward to it will probably start it on Monday. Will report progress as I do it

Attachments

• 4EC3C427-D619-40AA-B928-DFFC4F0B0FE9.jpeg
    4EC3C427-D619-40AA-B928-DFFC4F0B0FE9.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks nice :smiling3:
Looking forward to seeing your progress, good Idea to blog the build too.... Not just for hints and tips.... Sometimes good old fashioned encouragement is a help ;)
Andy

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve hope you enjoy the build as im about to start a seaking 1/72 working model for my tiger so i may be able to learn somtheing off you on your build so please post your build on here
chris b

First Name
Steve
Ok, opened the box, wow along long time since I read instructions like this.
Painting, drilling etc.
Question: Never used an air brush so that’s out. Aerosol cans??? I’m ok with these, used them a lot in my time. Brush painting, ok on small but large whole bodies possibly won’t get it right.
Any advice on painting for this oldie? Primer, top coat , varnish and all methods.
Want to get it right for first project.
Thanks Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Are you going to paint it yellow? Then I would advise to prime with white and put yellow over that, both from an aerosol can. Brush-painting yellow is very difficult to do without streaks, and you would probably need several coats even over a white primer underneath.

Masking the canopy will be slightly tricky, but if you cover it in masking tape and then cut out the framing with a sharp blade, you should be OK.

First Name
Steve
Are you going to paint it yellow? Then I would advise to prime with white and put yellow over that, both from an aerosol can. Brush-painting yellow is very difficult to do without streaks, and you would probably need several coats even over a white primer underneath.

Masking the canopy will be slightly tricky, but if you cover it in masking tape and then cut out the framing with a sharp blade, you should be OK.
Thanks for that, confirming my thought exactly.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
yes Steve Jakko is right i use a humbroll rattel can on my merlin chopper an the detail comes up great as im now just to put on my tiger build my seaking kit as i just testing to see where it will sit on the flight deck
chris b

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't give you any help on the paint but will follow Steve.

First Name
Steve
Update.
Sorry but haven’t started yet. Felt rough so done a Covid test and yes, Positive.
So it’s put me behind for about 10 days.
Anyway have got all paints etc that is needed so as soon I get rid of this Covid thing we’ll get on with it.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Sorry to hear you've caught the lurgy. Look after yourself and get back to the bench when you feel better.
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yeah,
Completely concur with the Guys Steve.....
Get back to proper health ....... we`ll all still be here upon your return:thumb2:
All the very best to you mate!
Andy

First Name
Steve
This Covid has made me sit back and think too much, so much I ordered and have received the Eduardo Upgrade and mask kit.
Wow, never seen or used this before. Any and all advice will be very welcome, from start to finish. TIA Steve.