First project: Sea King HAR3

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hope you get it soon and intact. Mind you they normally pack things well.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I know I'm late commenting on this. BUT!! It too will be my first build after a 50 year lay off.
However!! I think I will paint my version in the grey livery they used in the Falklands circa 1986. It will mean digging out a few pics but I'm not a fan of the canary yellow. I was hoping to attempt to convert the SK to a navy variant, non SAR colours but I put it in the too difficult box due to the RAF version has an extra window on the port side and blocking it in is beyond my current skill set.
Hopefully starting at the weekend!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I know I'm late commenting on this. BUT!! It too will be my first build after a 50 year lay off.
However!! I think I will paint my version in the grey livery they used in the Falklands circa 1986. It will mean digging out a few pics but I'm not a fan of the canary yellow. I was hoping to attempt to convert the SK to a navy variant, non SAR colours but I put it in the too difficult box due to the RAF version has an extra window on the port side and blocking it in is beyond my current skill set.
Hopefully starting at the weekend!
One of the FI grey cabs was allocated to D flt 202 sqn at Lossiemouth around 2002-04. I spent a week in Benbecula changing its main rotor gearbox.
It still retained the RHWR fairings on the nose and under the tail boom until it went to St Mawgan for major servicing and a repaint.
It’s on my build wish list.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
One of the FI grey cabs was allocated to D flt 202 sqn at Lossiemouth around 2002-04. I spent a week in Benbecula changing its main rotor gearbox.
It still retained the RHWR fairings on the nose and under the tail boom until it went to St Mawgan for major servicing and a repaint.
The mention of Bennie made me shudder!! Many a detachment there!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Rick, Dug out this image of the FI RAF SAR Sea King as it was returning ships personal back to us. This is what I will attempt to style my SK on. I may have to do a bit of modding as I notice the kit has a different set up in front of the engine intakes, whereas the version below is the 'barn door' arrangement. Plus, may have to try and source squadron emblem and numbers!! Also notice the load frame slung below. Something ASW Kings didn't use!!!
I'm giving myself work and I haven't even started!!!! Ho hum!!
sc000c449701.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Interesting picture. I’ve never seen that lift frame so clearly before. The Airfix Sea King (A04063) has the barn door FOD deflector, RHWR fairings and the blister fairing aft of the door included, it also has 78 sqn decals. You can see the aft RHWR fairing under the tail boom in your photo.
One problem I encountered is the MRB’s; the kit blades are the later composite type so have a different shape at the blade root. I got round this by pinching blades from a Cyberhobby Sea King kit.
The kit also doesn’t have the SACRU hook and fixings so you’d need to scratch your own.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Interesting picture. I’ve never seen that lift frame so clearly before. The Airfix Sea King (A04063) has the barn door FOD deflector, RHWR fairings and the blister fairing aft of the door included, it also has 78 sqn decals. You can see the aft RHWR fairing under the tail boom in your photo.
One problem I encountered is the MRB’s; the kit blades are the later composite type so have a different shape at the blade root. I got round this by pinching blades from a Cyberhobby Sea King kit.
The kit also doesn’t have the SACRU hook and fixings so you’d need to scratch your own.
Looks like my Dremmel will be utilised then!!! You know, I never knew the composite blades were different at the root!!! (Mind you, I spent most of my time concentrating at the tips!!!) We used to get quite close to things when winching!!! In one case too close and lost between 8 to 18 inches off the blades!! Resulting in a forced landing in a nearby car park!!!! Have a pic of that too although no close ups!!