First real plane for 40 yrs, a Revell 1/32 Bf 109 G 10

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Si getting there!

Thanks Steve, i now a fair bit about the mighty Stug but bugger all about most planes so the info is great, many thanks

Hi Jakko, in my mad world i would compare the A10 warthog to the super Stug, now time for my tablets lol

Bob

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi all

After a big problem with priming it and a nasty paint reaction, which involved sanding down the primer and starting again. I have started with the dark top colours, not following any pattern or markings. This is one big practice build.

Does anyone wash the kit again prior to painting??? Can only think that was the problem as I sprayed the same primer on to a practice piece of plastic with no problems??

This has been a much bigger learning curve that I thought it would, i.e. a first go at re-scribing panel liners went well and truly pear shaped

Me 109 001.JPG

Me 109 002.JPG

Me 109 003.JPG

I spray in my garage & its not the best place, cold, dusty, poor lighting etc, there are a few dust spots in the paint but I can sort that out, this is the 2 second coat and one more to go

getting there, deffo need much more practice lol

Please do not look to close!!

bob

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Every time someone builds a kit of any type they learn something new. So what if this is more a learning curve then you're used to. Nothing wrong with stepping out of your comfort zone to try new things.

Doing great so far.

First Name
Wouter
Glad you solved the primer issue mate. Basecoat looks good!
I never clean my models, from time to time I degrease them with lighter fluid but in general I don't. Depends on the paints you use. Tamiya paints and Mr. Hobby paints and primer bite well in the plastic when thinned with Lacquer Thinner or Mr. Levelling thinner. Other acrylics on the other hand are more sensitive to greasy surfaces though.

Keep up the good work StuGmeister!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Al, looks better than i thought it would, however i can see a few seam issues and that terrible scribing!

Evening Wouter. The primer went onto the plane and sat in small spots? I tried on a plastic test card with no problems, so not the brush or the paint! Never washed a Stug as well. Many thanks

Bob

First Name
Wouter
Hi bob when it sits in spots like that it will be probably some residue of agent which is in the plastic moulds to help seperate the plastic from the moulds more easily. Properties of the paint can enhance this. Which primer did you use? In my experience Vallejo paints and primers, Lifecolors and all need a rather clean surface to cover well indeed.

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Interesting, used vallejo surface primer, used it for ages. Sometimes use halfords plastic primer (for cars) again never had a problem. Perhaps i should wash the kit for longer

Thanks Wouter

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sometimes use halfords plastic primer (for cars) again never had a problem. Perhaps i should wash the kit for longer

Almost always use a primer from a rattle can - and - usually Halfords (red or grey).
Very rarely have to wash the plastic tho !!

This is looking better Bob, don't think that all the little "blemishes" will be apparent when you finish.

Paul.
:smiling2:

First Name
Wouter
Interesting, used vallejo surface primer, used it for ages. Sometimes use halfords plastic primer (for cars) again never had a problem. Perhaps i should wash the kit for longer

Thanks Wouter
Try brushing lighter fluid on the model (the one you use for the Zippo lighters)if you want. It's something I learned from a modeller couple of years ago on the old place. Works very good and it scares me a lot less than washing the sometimes fragile models in a bath of soapy water :D

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Paul, many thanks

Wouter, good advice, i think i did not clean up enough after filling, sanding etc. Like you when washing usually find either parts in the bowl or hanging on!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Wouter, sorry. How much and would you use paper towel??

Thanks bob

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Like Wouter I clean with lighter fluid. I put a little in a container and then brush it over the model with a wide, soft brush. It doesn't harm any glue or filler I have used. It evaporates very quickly and so you can paint/prime straight away.
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Morning Bob, exactly what Jim says. You don't need paper towel, that's the great part :smiling3:

Cheers

First Name
Ross
Bob

Missed the start of this and I've almost missed the build. Nice work.

cheers
Ross