first shot

W

windymiller

so after trying some vallejo on some paper and plastic milk cartons i primed the cockpit of the 262 with ultimate primer which seemed to go well considering ive never picked up an airbrush before, spraying grey on grey though is difficult :confused: i then went onto using some rlm66 ammo mig which i dont think i thinned down enough but having said that it kinda laid down ok and it was a tad easier to see where id been, primer i used at around 25psi and the ammo mig around 15psi, then went on to brush paint the seat with another ammo colour and found it very thin like im going to have to go back over it several times for coverage, did shake the bottle and i was painting brown over the top of dark grey, the trouble is i havent a clue what im doing so therefore have no reference points lol

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Have you finished it Alan ?

W

windymiller

Have you finished it Alan ?
:flushed: havent been able to progress things much john as it was my mums funeral wednesday so thats kind of pre occupied me and my thoughts, i have bought a few more bits and bobs in the week (im a sucker for ebay and amazon) hoping to allocate a day maybe next week to have some "me" time if that makes sense, i did struggle a bit spraying grey ump primer on grey parts (just seeing where id been) so kinda wondering whether to buy some white primer (another purchase fix !!)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to read of your loss Alan , a sad time , condolences to you and the family.

John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Thoughts and sympathy with you and the family at such a sad time.
Glad the airbrushing is going ok. It will take a while to get used to it but certainly a skill that is useful.
Jim

W

windymiller

thanks guys and the modelling / forum etc has been a god send allowing me just to loose ones self in a new hobby, if i watch a you tube clip on how to weather or panel line etc then i go looking for all the differing ways one could achieve that effect then look at all the components i need via the bay etc just takes my mind away !!! just got some windsor / newton oils and some thinners to play with or do you guys use water based products ?? ive such a lot to learn :relieved:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Oil paints and enamel paints are really useful for filters, washes, pin washes etc. They are so versatile and they flow well. Their slow drying means you need patience but that can work to your advantage as it gives a long fiddle time.
To see just how effective oil work can be have a look at Steve Jones work HERE There are lots of others but his weathering is exceptional.
Jim

W

windymiller

Hi Alan
Oil paints and enamel paints are really useful for filters, washes, pin washes etc. They are so versatile and they flow well. Their slow drying means you need patience but that can work to your advantage as it gives a long fiddle time.
To see just how effective oil work can be have a look at Steve Jones work HERE There are lots of others but his weathering is exceptional.
Jim
just looked through that thread what an incredible build the detail, techniques and realism is breath taking very very informative and enlightening !!!

W

windymiller

so i struggled with the 0.2mm needle (see picy) it was ammo mig paint psi set to 20 just didnt seem to be able to get a crisp line almost like the air was "pulsing" (i strip the airbrush each time and clean as it can be days / weeks till i re use at mo) its a brand new brush and compressor just all the gear and no idea !!! :disappointed: IMG_20190506_162655242[1].jpg