first time airbrush problem

R

richardthompson320

Hi all I have just used my airbrush for the first time and its not gone as I'd hoped.

I'll start with what equipment I'm using

Badger 250-3 single action external mix and it is siphon fed.

Testors universal acrylic thinner.

Tamiya x-18 I'll also be using tamiya paints for the rest of my model.

So I prepared my parts by washing, sanding and then primed with Halfords grey primer which went on great, nice smooth and even. Left to dry for 24 hours. Then mixed my paint with the thinner trying to get the consistancy of milk. Went outside cause its the only place I'll be able spray. Temp outside was about -1. If you look in the pics you can see what happened. Not quite smooth but I don't think its an orange peel effect. Any guidance is much appreciated

View attachment 43800

View attachment 43801

View attachment 43802

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've not used Testors thinners but Tamiya recommended using their thinners with their paints, but I would say your problem would be the weather, if it's -1 the paint spray is so fine it will freeze really quick, I might be wrong but I'm sure someone will come up with a better theory

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Room temperature paint and then out into -1 cold air. I would say thaars yer problem. As John mentioned it could be the thinner, but acrylic thinners are pretty much the same, just a few additives so they can call it their own.

Ian M

R

richardthompson320

Yeah I thought the temp could be a factor shame I didn't think of that before spraying. What ideal temperature am I looking for? Would a few degrees above zero be ok or would the temp have to be a lot higher?

T

tecdes

As has been said Richard the temperature is a major factor. Do not know about Tamiya but Vallejo say best at 22 degrees.

Probably the only way to tell is by experiment.

The other problem may well be dew. If you can rig a large box even a large cardboard box as a spray booth. Take the box out of a warm room. Will alleviate both temperature & moisture in the air. Perhaps buy a couple of sheets of polystyrene & pin together.

No garantee but worth a go.

Laurie

D

dubster72

I'm sure the temperature change had an effect, but it looks more to me that the paint is drying before it hits the plastic.

I'd try having the nozzle a bit closer say 8" away & see how that works.

Patrick

S

sprayman

Sorry to hear your problems on this, think Im inclined to agree with Patrick, that effect you have is usually down to the solvent evaporating mid flight, temp can be a factor, and -1 is no temp to be airbrushing, I dont like it when companies use the term universal thinner....there is really no such thing, best try the job again with screen wash,iso or tamiya's own thinner, you may just well find it lays a better paint.

Good luck and airbrushing takes time to master, and so does getting the mixes right....just stick at it, you will soon get the best from your brush and paint.