First time with 'larger' surface area gloss

A

AVB99

Hello and season's greetings to everyone

Am just about to start using gloss acrylic paint on what I consider a (relatively) large surface area. Am building the Revell T Ford which is black gloss and am using Tamiya black gloss with an airbrush. Is there anything I should know about using gloss paint before I begin please? I'm a little nervous - it seems that every model I made so far is sprayed with a matt varnish afterwards.

Any tips would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Aidan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just make sure the surfaces are well prepared. Gloss finishes,like natural metal,tend to show up the slightest imperfection.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My only tip, other than the smooth surfaces as Steve pointed out, would be to thin the paint well and build the paint up in several very fine coats. Also if you want a really smooth shiny finish you might want to consider rubbing it down between coats with very fine wet and dry. Something like 1000grit or finer!! When you are done give it a repeat process with clear and finish with a polishing compound.

Dude now I know why I normally do matt painted things!!!

Ian M

G

Gomer Pyle

What Steve said, preparation can make all the difference when painting gloss. Also I like to thin paints a little more than I thin flat paints and use a slightly lower pressure when laying the final wet coat. Lastly, let everything cure good and hard when you're done painting and then polish. It will give the paint a mirror-like gloss without looking wet and heavy-coated. Plus it will get rid of those unavoidable specks of dust that will get caught in the wet surface, and you know how they can draw attention or cause frustration, don't despair polishing will sort it all out in the end

Take care

Daniel

R

Richy C

As Steve has said gloss will pick out any flaws and black is worse than most , dont try and spray it in one go you could end up losing detail if its to heavy also theres a good chance you could end up with runs , 3-4 nice light coats letting it dry in between coats should do the trick ,

Richy

A

AVB99

Thanks all - so: thinner paint with lower pressure, rubbed down between layers and then polished. How (with what?) do I polish please?

Kind regards

Aidan

G

Gomer Pyle

Tamiya has a set of polishing compounds (coarse and fine I think). I use something called "Finishers" it's a three step polishing-paste, MicroMesh (sticks and cloths) and "The treatment Wax". Also something called MiracleShine (nail buffing pads) bought in make-up stores, worked wonders for me on gloss humbrol enmal. I've even heard of people using toothpaste and the like, just make sure that it it isn't based on a solvent that will eat into the paint chemically, the more mechanical the polishing is the better the result.

/Daniel

D

dubster72

I can recommend the Micromesh stuff;I have the sanding sticks & pads which go up to 16000 grit! Plus you get some polishing compound which is really useful - I've used that on all kinds of stuff, even repairing scratched phone screens!Patrick

A

AVB99

I've never heard of these polishing kits - will investigate - many thanks all.

Aidan

A

AVB99

Hello

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of the Tamiya polishing comounds please?

Thanks

Aidan