first time with Rivetting tool

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks to John at the SM shop ive just received my rivetting tool. Ive been wanting a proper one of these for a while now and for around a fiver its a good buy ,plus you get Johns excellent quick service too. Ive used it on a build I'm doing in the background (ie. I havent done a thread for it) . The kit is the excellent monogram F100d super sabre , a lovely kit but one that is lacking in panel line detail in one vital area-- the tail section . This is the one area I'm hoping to emphasise with a heat stained effect typical of the aircraft. The problem was the section was pretty smooth , but the heat staining has a distinctive banded effect between the lines of rivets so I decided to add these in this area to make it look better and to define where to apply the heat staining. Heres the pics of the before (smooth and fairly featureless ) and after rivetting . What do you think , will it be visible enough after a coat of varnish and a wash ? all comments welcome , cheers tonyDSCN1825 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1826 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN1828 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Great looking work Tony and very nice looking rivot detail.

I've only tried mine once with the j10 but still not finished. I have to admit it's a very nice tool but you defo need a steady hand when your doing a straight line:eek::eek: :D

Regards

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very true Robert , I used dymo tape and tried to run the tool alongside strips of this but you still need a very steady hand ! cheers tony

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looks quality buddy which tool did you use if you dont mind me asking

F

Fenlander

Good edge guide for tools like this or scribing Is Dymo label tape. Will stick around curves or can be hand held and is thick enough to give a good edge to guide the tool.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Looks quality buddy which tool did you use if you dont mind me asking
Its the trumpeter one john , i got it from the scale models online shop, it was anout a fiver and comes with four different spiked wheels , ill try and get a pic up later , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Riveting is not one of my favourite pastimes, but that looks to have come out well.

As well as some kind of guide, like Dymo tape, I find I have to concentrate on keeping the wheel and handle in line so that I am working everything in straight lines. Exactly the same applies to scribing.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
That looks really good Tony, I guess you're aiming for something like this on the Super Sabre?
View attachment 152613
Thats exactly it patrick , although mine is a 60's usaf aircraft so wont be as intense as this pic. Im going to try something 'unconventional' for this too , more details if it works! Cheers tony

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nicely done,Tony,do like it,

would come in handy for other things as well,

mmmmmmm steampunk metal sheeting, ;)

D

dubster72

\ said:
Is this the Super Sabre from Midland Air Museum at Coventry? It looks familiar.
I don't know Graham, it's just a reference pic I have for the day that I attempt something like that.... probably never!