First wingy thing for years!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Bear with me on this one.
Back story.
Finally got around to revisiting the idea of representing what happened to the house I live in in 1940 (it's only been 7 or 20 years since I first had the idea!).
Initially, it was going to be 1:24 scale - decided that that was too big - so 1:72 it'll be.
IMG_20221008_173856_665.jpg
Bare bones there, but this house is the cottage mentioned. Very small amount of damage occurred to the house, just a front wall in a bedroom was ripped out, with not much taken from the end of the house so that it must have been a very small impact area, probably just the end of the wing.
Far more details are available in the squadron records, as to the reason for the flight, why he was trying to land in a field, why the engine failed etc.
I'm going to try and do it at the moment of impact, when the wall is bulging, but before the bricks start flying - there's going to be a fair amount of artistic license, as to exact direction of flight (I know where the plane ended up, so possibly work back from there) attitude (nose up or level?) colours of door and windows etc.
Original plane was this
IMG_20221008_172054_621.jpg
It's now going to be this
IMG_20221008_173128_853.jpgIMG_20221008_173123_551.jpgIMG_20221008_173119_187.jpgIMG_20221008_173115_061.jpg
as can be seen, a start is being made, but not sure how quickly this will go.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wrecked aircraft make great model making subjects. Like Karl, I look forward to the result.

I'm a great believer in 'Artistic License' too. To me, it means no one will pull you up and you are able to go into a relaxed freefall with your build.

Bring it on, Gerry!

Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks both
Thing is Ron, the plane won't be wrecked at the point of depiction, it gets wrecked when it lands upside down in the ditch the other side of the road (pilot suffered a broken nose!) at the time of hitting the house, it was gliding in for an emergency unpowered landing (air intake clogged with snow/ice from take-off through 'deep snow') - I can only imagine that the port wingtip caught the house and spun the plane through 90 degrees, starboard wingtip then dug into the ground/lane and over it went.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That will make for one terrific dio. Gerry.
I look forward to watching it blossoming into fruition. Should be a gud'n. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
As Ron says wrecked planes can make great dios. To model something personal is a good idea. I'll enjoy following your build.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That will make for one terrific dio. Gerry.
I look forward to watching it blossoming into fruition. Should be a gud'n. :thumb2:
As Ron says wrecked planes can make great dios. To model something personal is a good idea. I'll enjoy following your build.
Great idea!
Thanks, I just hope that I can do it and yourselves justice - a long while since doing a 1:72, forgotten how small the parts are! :surprised: Also as said, the first wingy thing since building the 1:24 in the first picture (mmrrph years ago!)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great idea…..good luck with the execution Gerry. It will look excellent when done, and you have a 1:1 version of the building to draw on for modelling purposes!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Great idea…..good luck with the execution Gerry. It will look excellent when done, and you have a 1:1 version of the building to draw on for modelling purposes!
Yes, just got to measure up all of the areas - think that I'm going to have to swot up on the measuring by angles (45 degree triangle will give height on the ground when the hypotenuse and vertical are lined up - or something like that, anyway)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gerry, a simple way to scale up a building that I always use is to lay a 1/72 figure on a piece of paper. Whilst he's lying down, mark out the doorway opening, not the door size. 7ftX 3ft
Measure up 8ft from his boots. That gives you the ceiling height.
Add another 12". That's for the floor joist, ceiling and floorboard depth.
Add another 8ft for the 1st floor. this takes you to the wallplate that the ceiling joists and roof spars sit on.

A very simple and easy method.

Also, keep in mind the most excellent saying 'If it looks right, it is right', and for gawd's sake, don't get bogged down in exactitudes. Free spirits rule!

Ivor Steeltaypp