Fixing matt paint

B

brewster

Hi Guys

Ive just started getting into model building again after a 15 year layoff. Im currently into my 3rd build and have hit a slight snag. I was painting camo on my buffalo using a tutorial on youtube. It said to use blue tack to slighty raise the mask to give a soft edge on the camo. This worked great but after I pulled the blue tack off, it left shiny dots on the matt finish of the brown paint. Like it had lifted the matt finish off with it. Im not sure what to do, I was planning on doing a clear coat of satin - will this cover the dots up, if not anything else I can try to get the mat finish back ?

Thanks in advance

Brewster

B

Bunkerbarge

I would do a test first off the model. Paint a piece of plastic with the paint you used then, when dry the same amount of time as your model apply Blu Tac for the same amount of time to generate the same spots. Then apply your clear coat and see if it covers it OK. I suspect it will cover it fine and give you a nice even finish first but I always advocate doing a test piece.

In fact what ever process I apply to a model I also apply to a piece of scrap so that whenever I want to test something I have a ready prepared sample piece to play with.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Make sure that you've not got any residue from the Blu-Tac on the paint. Blu-Tac is really good at transferring stuff from your hands to the model too! If you've used enamel paints a quick wipe with alcohol is a good idea,otherwise a damp cotton bud.

If your satin finish doesn't cover the dots (and I suspect,like Richard,that it will)then you'll be looking at touching up with the original paint.

I've never painted a model without some remedial work,you are not alone! I'll let you know when I do but don't hold your breath!

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Evening Brewster. At a similar state in experience.

Made same mistake on second model. Got over it by spraying with gloss varnish & marks disappeared. Then apply the finish in my case matt varnish. But for goodness sake experiment first as I do not want to be the wrecker of your model..

Gone to white tack since which does not seem to have the same problems as the blue. Also now put on a coat of Klear before attaching the white tack which protects the paint.

Laurie

B

backonthecase

I had the same issue and the above works fine - clear finish will soak into the matt paint the same way the blu tack residue did and it will be all even and poifect!!

Stuart

B

brewster

Wow , Im so glad I found this forum.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will be doing some test pieces tomorrow to see if the problem is sorted out. I will let you know how i go.

Cheers

Brewster

B

backonthecase

I was also thankful when I asked the same question of the lads here! Good luck Brewster and don't forget to show us the result :smiling3:

Stuart

R

RWC

Bluetack Problem

Hello. Bluetack will leave a mark on your model. Use Whitetack instead as it is less aggresive to your paintwork.

Robert

B

brewster

Hey guys, I have given my plane a few coats of gloss now, and all the marks have pretty much gone. Happy that it was an easy fix !!

cheers for the help, much appreciated

Brewster

B

backonthecase

On a side note, I have found that white tack also leaves residue, just not as much!

I have also found that using it on a gloss surface will not leave as much of a mark.

So the sequence: paint-klear-blutack-paint-blutack off-klear should work.

Get some pics up then mate :smiling3:

Stuart

B

brewster

Hey backonthecase, that sequence sounds like the way to go. Will be doing it that way next time.

I'll post some pics up when its done, but its a far cry from some of the models on here !