FlakPanzer IV Mobelwagen, 1/35, Tamiya

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i do have a thing for these really old kits, they might be basic but they are still a lot of fun for not a lot of money.........i remember getting this one on ebay for just a few quid about 12 years ago!

its a weird subject as it actually shows the prototype......they only made one with the quad 20mm mount before going to a 37mm single for production, but hey ho, still an interesting subject and if you didnt know the fact you would assume its one of those things the Germans made by the hundred

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice!!!!!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
its a weird subject as it actually shows the prototype......they only made one with the quad 20mm mount before going to a 37mm single for production
I strongly suspect it’s because Tamiya had both a 2 cm Flakvierling 38 kit and a Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H kit, so they just decided to combine the two.

If you want to make an accurate(ish) model of the prototype, BTW, spray the spare track links along with the hull, not as bare metal like the box art shows them :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
upper and lower hulls going together nicely......usual trick of bonding in ballast and a nut for a handle

you get the choice of building this in three ways.........closed up as if its moving, armour slightly open as if in AA mode, or fully open as in engaging ground targets.

im going to do it all closed up .......for a few reasons........will make it easier to paint.....no figures to do (bonus!)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
"I do have a thing for these really old kits" .....
Yep,me too Paul..... Great to put together and,as you say.... "Good fun" :smiling3:
Been sorely tempted to get this type of thing a few times over the years,so will watch your progress and be interested in your thoughts along the way ! :smiling3:
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Strange looking thing, bit like a jack in the box .
I shall sit with young Mr Smith if I may .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
its a weird subject as it actually shows the prototype......they only made one with the quad 20mm mount before going to a 37mm single for production, but hey ho, still an interesting subject and if you didnt know the fact you would assume its one of those things the Germans made by the hundred
Paul. Do you know if there is much difference between this prototype and the Wirbelwind? Obviously i know that the Wirbelwind had side 'protection' but other then that, isn't it the same chassis?

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Obviously i know that the Wirbelwind had side 'protection' but other then that, isn't it the same chassis?

Alan,
They both utilised late model Panzer IV chassis.

You can check the Whirlwind out here :-

Wirbelwind

HTH,

Paul.
:smiling:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Whirlwind/Eastwind had fewer changes to super structure.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
dont know about the camo......sort of freehanded it........used the right RAL colours but wasnt happy with the green, bit too dark so went over again with 4BO..........................should all tone down when its gets a wash and matt clear coat

next step is build the AA gun, and then a shiny coat ready for a wash

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Paul. Most camo patterns look harsh when first applied but gets sorted with the next steps.
Jim