Fleet Air Arm Museum & Swordfish Info : Brilliant

T

tecdes

Having difficulty with the Swordfish wires finding the size as I wanted to use fishing line in place of the Etched wires I got from Tamiya which are flat. Also research threw up so many conflicting colours for the aircraft.

So I have been to the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Somerset and thought could they help. So I emailed them to see if they could help. And help they have given.This is the reply this afternoon from my email this morning.

Dear Mr Stewart

Further to Rachael’s email, I attach the only images we have here that may assist you. The colour scheme is: Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey upper surfaces with white undersurfaces and sides. The diagram shows a later 816 Swordfish. I believe that the colour scheme is the same, just with the addition of invasion stripes.

I have measured the wires on our Swordfish (I am told they are known as RAF wires). You asked for a diameter, but the wires are flat. They measure circa 24 mm. I had problems deciding just how many mm, then turned the ruler round. They measure ¾ of an inch.

That’s the best we can do.

Yours sincerely

Barbara Gilbert

Archivist

Also Barbara here sent me these photos. HMS Tracker's Squadron is my colour scheme. Now I consider that real dedication & kindness and spot on with a reply so soon.

View attachment 52211View attachment 52210View attachment 52212

What is interesting & thrown up that the wires are flat so fishing line is inappropriate so here goes with Tamiya Etched stuff which is the correct size spot on.

Laurie

PS if you have not been to the Fleet Air Arm museum it really is worth a visit. I have been twice. A great museum. They have a Sea Harrier suspended form the roof with a walk around at high level. Also a simulated Aircraft Carrier deck which you stand on & feel the aircraft taking off on the realistic video as if you were there. Very realistic. You need a whole day here.

View attachment 54759

View attachment 54760

View attachment 54761

fleetAIR3.jpg

fleetAIR1.jpg

fleetAIR2.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That was some kind of service you got there.

Good thing you found out about the rigging wires being flat. I was going to mention it but now you have it from "the horses mouth" so to speak.

I'm no expert on the matter but I believe all British bi-planes had these flat wires. Less drag and all that.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Yes fascinating stuff Ian.

Now have visions of nylon fishing line being battered by ten pound lump hammers to make flat wires.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nah! Du what the real nerds do. They use fuse wire and roll it to make it flat.... See there are many that say they use fuse wire, but there are none that tell you they have flattened it !

Personally I think anything under 1/48 scale its a wonder that they can rig them at all. Then the problems of over 1/48 where things are really noticeable.... What to do??

Ian M

T

tecdes

Fuse wire surely Ian fuse wire you cannot get it straight. Does it not sag with time. Rather like my muscles.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I believe that you need to pull it.

Does sprue return to round when stretched, maybe you could give a bit the right profile then stretch it out to get the size.....

that should keep you busy for an hour or two....lol

Ian M

T

tecdes

\ said:
I believe that you need to pull it. Does sprue return to round when stretched, maybe you could give a bit the right profile then stretch it out to get the size.....

that should keep you busy for an hour or two....lol

Ian M
Using your eloquent expression Ian, well used here as well, Nah.

Laurie