Flexible solutions.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Over the last couple of days I have been experimenting with such materials as plastercine modelling clay,Bluetak and childrens crazy dough ! dont laugh because within those three groups we have some of the most versatile masking materials for the complex shape of our models,here are a few examples how these materials can be used-

Bluetak & crazy dough makes ideal masks for such things as canopies,odd shaped items that need masking prior to painting etc for example to mask the centre of a wheel hub simply roll a small amount of material into a ball,then push into the hub spreading until it fills the centre,this makes a superb mask preventing paint from getting onto the hub portion whilst you spray or hand paint the tyres.Also for cockpit canopies roll out a small portion and flop it over the canopy just like covering a pie ! then simply trim off the edges with a craft knife,your precious clear pieces will then be protected prior to painting.

Here is another tip,always have a lump of modelling clay on your workbench,when you next need to support your model whilst working on it just press lightly into the material,you will have the best ready made support possible.

The beauty of these materials is that they are all easily removed without nasty tacky films that can leave a residue.

Never be afraid to experiment with things that have nothing to do with model building,see everything as a useful means of making better models.

If you have any similar tips like this we want to hear from you here,no matter how small of insignificant they may appear ?

N

NapierDogs

What a brilliant idea, I have always wanted some way of painting the rubber on tank wheels, getting it precise, and never really come up with anything other than a steady hand, which fails many times, I will give the plaster-cine and blue tac a go. To hold items steady especially uneven item, great idea. Thank-you.

Mike.

First Name
Grahame
Another useful item for holding models at awkward angles:

I got the wife to make a couple of small “bean bags” each about 12” diameter which are ideal for my size of model but I'm certain they could be miniaturised if necessary. The polystyrene balls are very cheap and any scrap material can be used for the bag.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What a brilliant idea, I have always wanted some way of painting the rubber on tank wheels, getting it precise, and never really come up with anything other than a steady hand, which fails many times, I will give the plaster-cine and blue tac a go. To hold items steady especially uneven item, great idea. Thank-you.Mike.
*** Glad that you like it Napier,like all these things it is always the simple ideas that work best,like yourself I have struggled for years doing tiny wheels etc,as a variation on the above once you have rolled the blue-tack into a small ball,slice it into two with a razor blade,this way you have a flat surface to push against the wheel,gentle pressure ensures that you can easily adjust the diameter of the tack before applying paint,also use the material to fill cockpits etc with a plug of the material before painting,there is no end to its uses in modelling,Have fun.

N

new to trains

i use bigger bean bags on the back seat of the car , i then sink my larger model boats into the bean bags and here they sit happily whilst driving to shows and exhibitions !

also if you ever use double sided sticky tape to hold parts during spray painting , then an ideal material to remove the 'bond' without damaging the sprayed parts of the model is lighter fluid- this removes the 'sticky' from the double sided tape.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
i use bigger bean bags on the back seat of the car , i then sink my larger model boats into the bean bags and here they sit happily whilst driving to shows and exhibitions !also if you ever use double sided sticky tape to hold parts during spray painting , then an ideal material to remove the 'bond' without damaging the sprayed parts of the model is lighter fluid- this removes the 'sticky' from the double sided tape.
*** The bean bag idea is brilliant,no doubt this could be easily adapted to use with other types of models,the number of times a model has shunted in the rear of the car,thanks NTT ! keep these tips coming.

N

NapierDogs

*** Glad that you like it Napier' date='like all these things it is always the simple ideas that work best,like yourself I have struggled for years doing tiny wheels etc,as a variation on the above once you have rolled the blue-tack into a small ball,slice it into two with a razor blade,this way you have a flat surface to push against the wheel,gentle pressure ensures that you can easily adjust the diameter of the tack before applying paint,also use the material to fill cockpits etc with a plug of the material before painting,there is no end to its uses in modelling,Have fun.[/quote']We have visitors at the moment, the spare room being my model room, so I can't Wait for them to leave and start the experimenting.

Mike.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
We have visitors at the moment, the spare room being my model room, so I can't Wait for them to leave and start the experimenting.Mike.
*** You just cannot beat a den or model room Mike,somewhere that you can put things down and leave them there,without having to clear everything away all of the time.!

N

new to trains

i just take over the dining room, the kitchen, the garage and i have a 16ft x 10 ft studio in the garden too ! ( the wife dont like it all over the house but hey ho ! ) but the granite kitchen worktops are great flat surface tables crying out for model construction to take place !