flying duck tug

A

all at sea

hi,can anyone please tell me where i can get a full size plan for my flying duck [or flying drake] ,she is 37"long and part finished ,but need plans to get her completed...also any 1:32 scale fittings for her ...thank you alan:respect1:

J

jankers

As no one has replied i think you may need to add some further info, what kit (have you tried the kit manufacturer?) or details of the tug (year built, type (harbour/coastal/sea-going?).

Ad for fittings, try Westbourne Model Boats At Westbourne-models.com

They should be able to advise if they do not stock them. Sorry to be so inconclusive but I know very little about tugs.

J.

B

Bunkerbarge

I've not heard the name so I think a manufacturer for the kit would be a good starting point.

A

all at sea

thank you for your reply .i do not know the kit makers ,i bought it off ebay 2 years ago .the tug was built at a & j inglis in 1956 when the clyde shipping co ordered 2 diesel tugs the FLYNG DUCK & FLYING DRAKE they were 99ft long with 1310hp diesel engines .....and thats all i can find out about them,allthough i dont know the best sites to visit..i have a old copy of the model boats mag from 1073 that says full size drawings and plans can be had from MODEL MAKER PLANS SERVICE [FOR 80P ] i dont think the site exists any longer....alan

A

all at sea

forgot to mention that the MODEL MAKER PLANS SERVICE ADDRESS WAS PO BOX 35 BRIDGE STREET HEMEL HEMPSTEAD HERTS HP1 1EE does anyone know if they still trade ,,under another name....cheers.....alan

B

Bunkerbarge

Have a look at this site, they don't list your tug but they are worth asking:

X List Model Plans

If you tell them it was originally a Model Makers Plan they might be able to put you in the right direction.

Have you seen this?:

mt FLYING DRAKE built by A & J Inglis Pointhouse Glasgow Clydebuilt Ships Database

or this, go to the bottom:

http://business.virgin.net/metcalf.mouldings/boatsandmodels.htm

and here, you have to sign up to be able to see the pictures:

Flying Duck - Ships Nostalgia

There is also here:

Models By Design : Our Boats

There are obviously a couple of guys worth contacting here:

SFMBC.net :: View topic - Flying Duck

and I'm sure that Metcalf Mouldings will be able to help you out with plans and assistance if your model was originally one of theirs or a "Boats and Models" of Norwich, which it probably was!

Metcalf Mouldings Home Page

They do state thay they supply the original drawing for these models even though they have not decided to continue production of the kit.

I hope this is of some help.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

B

Bluewavestudios

Hello Alan & Welcome to the Forums,

Good News for you too,

The old Model Maker plans were part of the old ASP / Nexus Plans service and they can all be found at:

My Hobby Store

The Original Plans of the Flying Duck are still available and listed on the site as per this link:

Flying Duck MM1176 - Only £9.95 - My Hobby Store

You can enlarge the image too, they also do fittings on this site but I have not checked if there are any for this particular boat. I am guessing from the names that these are sister tugs so the plans should do you for both the Duck and The Drake.

Regards.......Mark

A

all at sea

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH,I HAVE NOW SENT FOR THE PLANS ,SO CAN COMPLETE AS MY RETIREMENT HOBBY........great site /great members

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Alan,

Glad we could be of assistance here and thanks for the kind comments.

Hopefully you now have all the info you need to get your model completed, Please post pics up when she is done, or even in progress if you wish. If you get stuck, you know where to ask for help

Regards.....Mark

C

charlesm

gidday alan

just wondering if you finished the flying duck

i built one in about 73 from the model boat magazine totaly scratch build right down to the 2 winches tow hook and a four blade brass prop and the 45 gallon BP drum ... she is fourfoot long and nie on 40 years later the duck is in for a refit/spruce up

i know you posted this in 2008 i have just found the site and joined in otherwords a newby

charles stralia

First Name
Peter
If anybody has (or wants) information on these boats (Flying Duck/Flying Drake) then drop a message here. I have recently bought a model of the Oristano (a.k.a. Flying Drake, after she was sold to the Italians) and am planning to return her to her original Clyde colours and name this Winter. Any plans or information will be happily received or shared.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If anybody has (or wants) information on these boats (Flying Duck/Flying Drake) then drop a message here. I have recently bought a model of the Oristano (a.k.a. Flying Drake, after she was sold to the Italians) and am planning to return her to her original Clyde colours and name this Winter. Any plans or information will be happily received or shared.
Mate, the last activity on that post was eleven years ago. You might get more responses posting this as a question In it’s own thread.
cheers
Tim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mate, the last activity on that post was eleven years ago. You might get more responses posting this as a question In it’s own thread.
cheers
Tim
Goodness me Tim, you're the only one I recognise on this thread. Scary thing is many on this forum are retirees and if this thread is eleven years old I don't even know if they are still walking this earth. A response would be great...unfortunately we don't have a roster call to see whose present still.
Peter, hope you find what you're looking for following what Tim has suggested.

Cheers,
Richard