Fokker Dr.I Streaky camouflage

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I have a 1/48 Revell Fokker Dr.1 Triplane ( reboxing of Eduard model ), and rather than go down the route of the 'Red Baron', I want to do a much more standard aircraft, with the streaky olive drab over pale blue.
I've watched a YpuTube video, where a guy used oil paints, but I want to see if I can use only acrylics.
Has anyone attempted this, or can point me to a video/article?
I know you can now buy decals to achieve the streaking, but being a tight old git, I want to do it by mine own hand! ;)
Dave

D

Deleted member 7917

I know you can now buy decals to achieve the streaking, but being a tight old git, I want to do it by mine own hand! ;)
And it would look more authentic. At times like this an unwanted kit can be used as a test bed. A bit of trial and error should overcome the challenge. You could try a tube of Cobra water mixable oil colour that I use for weathering very successfully. It can be bought from Jackson's Art Supplies. Great to use with acrylic paint. Best of luck ...

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Dave.
I would also use oils.
You could try this with acrylics,sludge wash
Make a wash with paint and water 40/60 then add a half teaspoon of washing up liquid.The washing up liquid acts as a retarder.
Apply over the surface you want it to go on,let it dry until it is nearly touch dry then using a large damp wet brush make the streaks.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, this might be a bit labour intensive...dilute the acrylic paint until wash consistency then dip your brush in and remove about 80% of it on a paper towel then paint on the streaks a stroke at a time. do not go over the same spot...let it dry as you move onto the next spot until you have reached the whole length and repeat the stroke... by this time your first stroke would have dried. Basically you're layering and once the layers build up you will see the color forming. I would suggest broader strokes at the beginning and thinner as the paint builds up to create a feathered look.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A speed enhancement to Richard‘s method may be to use a fan brush rather than a flat or round. You should get the streaks building up more quickly then. Bob Ross uses them a lot to paint his happy little trees...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tim,
I actually have a fan brush in my paintbox - I've never actually found a use for it! It's been sitting there for at least 5 years, maybe, at last!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst detail painting my tank rider figure, I decided to have a little experiment to see how I could achieve the streaky look.
My victim is a Revell Mustang in 1/72 - I'm never going to make it, so it's being put to some use. I grabbed a pale blue paint, and a Nato green paint - these were the first that were approximately close to what I needed.
The wings were brush painted pale blue, then when dry, sealed with gloss varnish.
My first attempt was with a diluted green, with a drop or two of retarder, applied by a coarse brush - It did not work!!
fist attempt.jpg
Even though it looked alright as it went on, as it dried, it settled out & lost the streakiness.
For the other wing, I used neat paint, applied with a smaller coarse brush
2nd attempt.jpg
I used small strokes, drawing the paint across the surface at the angle used on the Fokker, going back & forward, not trying to get an even finish, but also not trying to leave any thinner patches.................
That was more successful - that seems to be the correct method for me! The pale blue is right, but the overlying green needs to be a bit darker - one thing is that it's probably easier with a smaller brush, it will take longer, but the Triplane ain't that big
Dave