Foliage glue

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Some of you may remember a Normandy diorama is was/am in the process of making. I've stopped making it because all the foliage i put on the 'trees' has started to come off. I used a spray adhesive to glue it all in place and after being happy with the glue and how well it stuck, i am now not impressed.

Can any of you out there recommend a decent glue for putting foliage onto trees? Cost is an issue though so please nothing totally expensive.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I use a dip of water diluted (50/50) Elmer's glue w/dash of dish soap & some alcohol. Dip armature that will hold foliage in the mix. Let it drain upside down, then sprinkle darker foliage on the bottom of the armature (holding upside down) then bring right side up and sprinkle lighter foliage over the top. Set aside to dry. Have used this for years w/no adverse effects.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure how you make yours Alan, but gamers usually use the spray glue to attach the foliage, then dip them in dilute PVA to set it. Not possible if you add the trees to the groundwork before you add the foliage, but if you make the trees first it’s more than feasible. Their trees are made to be handled so need to be strong…..

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,I'm no expert,but I have done a few dios Alan....
I normally use "Woodland Scenic" glue, it's probably just the same as normal PVA stuff,but it works for me, and that's on basis that have lasted for years :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use a dip of water diluted (50/50) Elmer's glue w/dash of dish soap & some alcohol. Dip armature that will hold foliage in the mix. Let it drain upside down, then sprinkle darker foliage on the bottom of the armature (holding upside down) then bring right side up and sprinkle lighter foliage over the top. Set aside to dry. Have used this for years w/no adverse effects.
Beat me to it, so pretty much snap :tongue-out3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not sure how you make yours Alan, but gamers usually use the spray glue to attach the foliage, then dip them in dilute PVA to set it.

I did the first part but never dipped in pva afterwards. Might give that a go on the next Normany dio i am going to make. I'm going to see what i can salvage from the other dio and utilise it in the new one

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If the foliage is starting to fall off a finished dio. I have read that Cheap hairspray can save the day... Never tried it but sounds logical.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have used it as a fixative but test it first to make sure it won't be too glossy, unless you're looking for early morning dew or recent rain.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have used it as a fixative but test it first to make sure it won't be too glossy, unless you're looking for early morning dew or recent rain.

I suppose it would be ok to use a matt varnish afterwards to help dampen down the gloss?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Alan, I was going to suggest the 3M Super77 spray mount as it is for permanent mounting and super strong. Unfortunately its 4 times the price of the normal 3M Spray mount in the red tin.
What I do is spray and sprinkle a couple of times to build up the layers tapping the residue off in a box and reuse the fallen bits to sprinkle again. What stays on will eventually stay. I would spray a final coat of gloss black paint from a rattle can which acts as a sealant then spray with the colors of the leaves I want to be in matt.

Cheers,
Wabble