Following my Grandads footsteps...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Welcome :smiling3:

I'm not sure when he purchased it, but from what my family have said they can't remember a time it wasn't sitting in the corner of the room gathering dust.
There’s a clue on the box :smiling3:

Clue.jpg

It’s not going to be more than about 26 years old, and because kits (and other things) for these kinds of anniversaries tend to only be made for a short time, my guess is he bought it around that time. Unless, of course, it sat on the shelves at his local model shop for years, but even then I would expect it to have been in his possession for about fifteen to twenty years.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome!

I've been here a couple of months and have learnt shedloads from everyone here...

Have fun!

Del

M

ManEatingSnail

Thank you all for the welcome! You're all very kind and its good to know that I have made a good plan of action.

Now onto the bad news...

I don't know why I never have, but I hadn't ever actually opened and looked through the box properly. I opened it when we were first going through his stuff after his passing and it "looked" like it was all there. However on further inspection I'm missing all of the lunar module parts and other bits and pieces. Also the plastic sheets that wrap around to make up the actual rocket have been damaged. He was always a bugger for starting something and then tossing it to one side when something else was bought lol.

Either way it leaves me in the situation that I'm going to have to try and get hold of another one so I can at least complete the build when I am ready to start the challenge. Ideally I would love to get hold of one from the same run as I have had a quick scan on the internet and seen they did another run for the 50th Anniversary back last year.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's bad news, Alan - the Saturn V models weren't cheap models to start off with, and the years have made them somewhat collectible. This sadly means that the costs have gone up - the 50th Anniversary model sells for anything £55-85, and I haven't seen a 25th Anniversary model for sale. Ebay & KingKit are going to be your best bet - that & patience!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm missing all of the lunar module parts and other bits and pieces.
That was carried internally in the top stage, so if you want to pose it as it would be before/during launch, you wouldn’t need them (or so I assume — I’ve never seen this kit up close, let alone built it).

Also the plastic sheets that wrap around to make up the actual rocket have been damaged.
If it’s regular plastic card, then you could just measure its thickness (use calipers) and buy new card from a model (web)shop, then cut it to size.

M

ManEatingSnail

That's bad news, Alan - the Saturn V models weren't cheap models to start off with, and the years have made them somewhat collectible. This sadly means that the costs have gone up - the 50th Anniversary model sells for anything £55-85, and I haven't seen a 25th Anniversary model for sale. Ebay & KingKit are going to be your best bet - that & patience!
Dave
I've seen a 50th anniversary one on ebay for £55 and they are selling them on Amazon for about £60, at least I know I can still get hold of one. Might do it sooner rather than later. Just in case!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Adam do it now as if you leave it will be gone
chris

Reactions: JR

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Or wait 24 years until the 75th anniversary one is released.........
Though check out KingKit, but I have noticed when looking for some discontinued kits they're not always the best priced.