Ford '32 Interceptor

First Name
Mike
I built this old AMT 1/25 kit as part of a Group Build on another forum, the theme being 'aircraft-influenced cars'. I went for a 30s 'yellow wing' scheme based on US aircraft of the period, and scratch built a 'cockpit' for it using bits from a scrapped Bf 109 kit. This is only the second car I've built in 40 years and the kit was pretty awful, but I enjoyed it. Painted with Tamiya lacquers (decanted from aerosols).

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice build mike the tires are fantastic :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hi Ole, I made the decals but yes, they're based on P-26 markings (well spotted).Thanks Alan, achieved with a fine brush and lots of holding-of-breath ;)
I use the same method. When painting a canopy :smiling3:

A

american

I am really , really impressed .. i am so happy to be member on this forum. well done guys!

First Name
Richard
ok this is cool Mike, like the idea of putting plane and car together well done again.

Cheers Richi

T

Thunderbird

Being a swede I love the color combo, the whole build is beautiful.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Being a swede I love the color combo, the whole build is beautiful.
Yes, it's actually an IKEA kit. Came flat-packed, some assembly required. I was going to buy another but a week later they'd discontinued it ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job Mike , its a very neat idea , I often used to think about getting a green Mitsubishi (an actual car not a model ) and spray big red Hinomarus on the door and bonnet , and painting the nose black and calling it a zero !. This looks brilliant , the blue/yellow is a nice combo ,were you tempted to do the boot (trunk) in red and white stripes too?! great build , cheers tony

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Great job Mike , its a very neat idea , I often used to think about getting a green Mitsubishi (an actual car not a model ) and spray big red Hinomarus on the door and bonnet , and painting the nose black and calling it a zero !. This looks brilliant , the blue/yellow is a nice combo ,were you tempted to do the boot (trunk) in red and white stripes too?! great build , cheers tony
Thanks Tony, I didn't think of the striped trunk, that would have looked cool :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, fabulous work again Mike. It looks stunning in that scheme.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Beautiful paint work and what a nifty idea! Like it.

I saw a Triumph Spitfire painted in earth and green camouflage many years ago, that was cool as well.

Ian M

First Name
Mike
Thanks a lot guys. Although the kit itself was a struggle I enjoyed building in a different genre and also learnt a lot about applying high gloss finishes, something I've always been intimidated by. A friend recommended Tamiya polishing compounds and it's amazing the difference they made to the gloss paintwork.