Ford GPA

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thought I would make my next build a quick one. The ford GPA was an unsuccessful attempt for for a small amphibious jeep in answer to the Schwimmwagon it wasa based on a design similar to the far more successful DUKW. I picked it up from evil bay with the etch included very cheaply. It is Typical Tamyia from the 70's this is dated 1974 very simplified. The sprues are very dark green almost black with a bit of flash and soft detail it is also very hard and brittle. Still I like a challenge and it's all good practice for tweaking.

DSCF2285.JPG

DSCF2286.JPG

I made a start on the tub cleaning the flash and mould lines and removing the solid lashing points.

DSCF2287.JPGDSCF2288.JPG

Hope i will have the pleasure of your company along the way
Cheers
Scottie

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I`ll be following all the way Scottie :thumb2:
I like these things,and the DUKWs....... not got either in the stash mind:thinking:.
Cheers,
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
I'm in. I like these swimming trucks. Can't think of them without smiling at the episode of Combat Dealers where Bruce and Hus took a Schwimmwagon for a test. Very funny :smiling2:
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
You know I'm in Paul.....Work you magic!!!………..

Bleib Gesund
Allen

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Count me in.
Mike.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I`ll be following all the way Scottie :thumb2:
I like these things,and the DUKWs....... not got either in the stash mind:thinking:.
Cheers,
Andy
Andy I was looking at DUKW could be a future build.
Hi Scottie
I'm in. I like these swimming trucks. Can't think of them without smiling at the episode of Combat Dealers where Bruce and Hus took a Schwimmwagon for a test. Very funny :smiling2:
Jim
Jim, Not seen that episode.
You know I'm in Paul.....Work you magic!!!………..

Bleib Gesund
Allen
Hope i dont let you down Du auch
Count me in.
Mike.
Mike, Good to have you along

D

Deleted member 6559

Made one of these when it first came out (showing my age). Will look forward to following along Scottie.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I will be watching this with interest, I like things with wheels.

Andy

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Made one of these when it first came out (showing my age). Will look forward to following along Scottie.
Peter, You and me both mate.
I will be watching this with interest, I like things with wheels.

Andy
Andy, I have gone off tracks as well too fiddly lol, good to have you looking in..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Old , unusual , a bit simple , sounds like my cup of tea ( sounds like me too actually !) I’ll tag along please Paul . Cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You know me, I'm a glutton for this sort of thing...is there any seating left?...and I'm not sitting next to JR, he always drools when he nods off. By the way, where is the old goat?:tongue-out3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Great

there are quite a few inaccuracies Scottie as you would expect for a vintage Tamiya - I did one of these back in 2010

one of the main ones is the position of the deck pieces in relation to the sides of the hull - they sit too proud

06AmphibiousSeaGoingJeep.jpg
the ledge they sit on needs scraping to lower the deck

there are a whole host of other things though - inside cabin is missing a lot of detail, seats are over simplified, deck fittings are poor and missing, rear hull missing body seams, windscreen etc etc

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You know me, I'm a glutton for this sort of thing...is there any seating left?...and I'm not sitting next to JR, he always drools when he nods off. By the way, where is the old goat?:tongue-out3:
Rick, you must be a glutton for punishment following another of my builds, Its ok I have a bucket ready for John. He is about somewhere.
Great

there are quite a few inaccuracies Scottie as you would expect for a vintage Tamiya - I did one of these back in 2010

one of the main ones is the position of the deck pieces in relation to the sides of the hull - they sit too proud

View attachment 380350
the ledge they sit on needs scraping to lower the deck

there are a whole host of other things though - inside cabin is missing a lot of detail, seats are over simplified, deck fittings are poor and missing, rear hull missing body seams, windscreen etc etc

Hi Simon now he tells me I have already glued the decks on I will have to see if I can scrape it back. The detail is simplified but it came with some etch so with that and a bit of scratch Hopefully I will make something passable, although far from your level of accuracy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have removed areas ready for the etch and filled the large holes with plastic card. The moulded engine mesh has also been removed since the pic was taken. There is a lot of cleaning up still to do
DSCF2289.JPG

Then some work on the crew area. Removing the plastic for the etch is really hard work as the plastic is very hard and brittle plus there is a lot of detail to try and avoid.

DSCF2291.JPG

I remade the various transmission selectors from copper wire and evergreen as the kit ones were awful.

DSCF2292.JPG

I have got a little further but will put up some pictures later.

cheers
Paul