Forum news

John

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been approached by a company wanting to buy the forum, they have offered me a good price, I’ve still not fully committed to selling it, I’ve had the forum for 15 years, and it’s not an easy thing to let go of.

I’ve always ran this as a free forum, although I’ve paid for everything myself and never asked for anything to help with the costs, but as the forum gets busier the costs increase, recently you have noticed the forum has gone done for short periods, that is due to the hosting not coping with the extra traffic, also I was asked for the forum to use a SSL, at the moment it’s a free one, but really that needs to be a proper one, then there is software license fees, it all mounts up.

The current adverts made me a whole 57p in the last 7 days, it doesn't come anywhere near covering the costs, so I'm going to add more adverts, but that doesn't mean that you will see them, I was thinking of making the forum subscription based, a small fee of £10 per year will help a lot with the running costs.

But you will also get a few more benefits, no adverts, large image storage, unlimited time to edit posts, I know that will please a lot of people, and other things yet to be decided.

The webserver does need upgrading, the current hosting is throwing errors on a regular basis

The forum isn’t part of SMS but that doesn’t stop me offering exclusive offers, the first one will be a 5% discount code of your next order, so that will go some way, to getting your subscription fee back, in fact you could get a lot more back depending on your order.

If you would like to help then it's easy to do so, in your profile tab there is a account upgrade option.

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 19.49.38.png

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,

It would be a shame to "give up" the forum and hand the reins to an outside company.
After all they may run it as is for a period of time and then integrate changes which may or may not benefit the current members.

I for one like the idea of subscription, and, like you say a one off discount code.

Paul.
:smiling2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I'd be willing to pay a tenner John, but not if you're going to sell the forum.
Pete

Jim & Samson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John,
Just subscribed by PAYPAL, please keep the forum in house let me know if I can help further.
regards Jim

Fernando N

I'm the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
A big :thumb2::thumb2:'s up from me too John for your work on the forum and keeping it going.

Happy to pay to keep the forum going adfree and with you running it.

First Name
Si
I’ll quite happily part with £10 a yr to keep the forum ticking over:smiling4:
Same as the other....keep it ad free and as it is.

All paid :thumb2:

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Certainly don't want to lose another forum home, £10 is a trip to Costa so I don't object to this at all.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
I'm happy to pay the tenner as well. I have just got used to this great site and do not want to see it go down the tubes as did my previous home MM.

AlanG

JG300 'Wild Sau' Mad
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Has it really been 15 years? wow! Time flies and all that.

It would be a pleasure donate when i can. Joys of minimum wage and all that. But if it keeps the forum 'in house' and run by you and the excellent admin team then i'm in

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Paid and happy to do so. Being part of this great forum is worth the £10.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I joined this, my very first forum back in May 2009, so it's about time I coughed up!

Thank you John for the past 10 years here on S.M.

Paid...... :thumb2: