Forum news

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
My local club asks for £2 per meeting, twice per month.
How much is IPMS membership?
Pete

Steve Jones

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Jim as Christine said when I told her that's about the cost of 2 or 3 coffees, and at 19.23 p per week for what we get it's fantastic , good friends , the help, and banter, with of course Steve attempting to get me to do camo !
John.
and failing miserably :smiling5::smiling3:

John Race

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete
Think it's quite high per year , Pete Low will know.

Steve Jones

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I am sure we all look at other forums for various reasons. Whether it's to get research or see other peoples builds of future projects etc. There are indeed some SMF members who post here and on other forums as well.

However many of us consider this to be our "home" "club" "social circle" whatever you want to call it. Therefore, as contributing members to the content of the forum, the shop, the friends, the quality and diversity of the modelling, we are more than happy to support this as much as we can ie paying a fee. I am sure the majority (as there are always exceptions to all things) of forum members on other sites would do the same to help out their "community" on their particular forum if needed. What you cant do is please the "floater's" of this world who prefer just to look in and out of several forums for their own needs (and before the locals get restless I do not have an issue with this).

I am glad to see today that John has addressed one of my concerns by putting plans in place to enable old visitors and newbies to see a majority of content when visiting the site. When I come across a forum that is worthwhile for my modelling needs and research I have paid to gain access to get the information I need.

I am sure when people see the quality of this forum and all that it offers (As pointed out in recent posts on this thread) people will be more than happy to pay that small fee to be part of this friendly community.

beowulf

hoowozziewee?, wozziweisen?
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete

cheapest option is 22 quid a year

my club subs is 25 quid a year and worth every penny!

beowulf

hoowozziewee?, wozziweisen?
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I am sure when people see the quality of this forum and all that it offers (As pointed out in recent posts on this thread) people will be more than happy to pay that small fee to be part of this friendly community.

i disagree..........you want to dip your toe in the water to see if you like it before jumping in..........your not going to stump up a tenner before being allowed to post or interact and then find out you dont like it

Steve Jones

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i disagree..........you want to dip your toe in the water to see if you like it before jumping in..........your not going to stump up a tenner before being allowed to post or interact and then find out you dont like it
We will have to wait and see what the devil in the detail is but the way I read it was that John was setting up the forum in such a away that people would be able to "see before they buy"

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I have looked at few others and some of the bitchy comments, wrong shape rivit, kits 0.3 mm too short, balls not for me. Better class of insult here, no names find??
Spot on Bob, call it what you will, a donation/subscription, its a Small price for a massive forum,

I am still finding new and intriguing stuff, wings and wheels, who would have thought there were such models?

Regards

Steve H

AlanG

JG300 'Wild Sau' Mad
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am a member of two other forums. One a rarely visit because i find it hard to navigate and the people are not my 'cup of tea'. But it is a good resource of information. The other site caters for the larger scale kits mostly and has a good banter and a wealth of information on it. But the latter site is paid for by traders subscribing to the forum so they can show off their products in a dedicated section. Pics are not hosted either. So it remains free to the user.

From what i can see, John rarely allows traders to sell their products on here and hosts the pics at his own cost (which is a lot of money). We get all this for free (up until now) and i totally commend John for stumping up the funds for all these years. I for one do not mind at all in trying to help out John if it means he 'gets a break' from paying for it all. I have had many many years of pleasure out of this forum and have talked to and continue to talk to some amazing modellers.

I am skint and still struggling to get by but i made the choice of selling a kit to fund my subscription. It's a small price to pay for something that gives far bigger returns.

Tim Marlow

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alan, good post. I would like to add that not only does John not often allow others to advertise their wares, he is remarkably restrained in not pushing his own stock in our faces. We get brief updates of new stuff that the shop gets in, and that’s basically it. The info is there if you want to look for it, but you certainly don’t have to wade through reams of self advertisement to use the site.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
SMF Supporter
First Name
steven
I have now upgraded my account and I will be hopefully posting again after my holiday later next month on both my model railway and my recent R/C car purchases over last few years.This is the only forum that has my three hobbies under one roof so paying £10 a yr is worth it for me.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I know I don’t come on as much as I used to but it would be sad to see the forum stop so I’ve joined , guess I’ll have to start abusing the plastic more now

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John,

I appreciate all the work you have been putting in and £10 a year seems a fair amount to pay - so I just have!

I hope you can continue to run the site exactly as you wish...

Regards,

Tim

Matt.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matt
Hi John, just paid subscription. I have never been in a forum but found everyone here really helpful and I’ve learnt loads. (Thanks everyone) although I won’t be getting much done in near future as works buisy, helping daughter get sorted for uni, putting foundations and building a garden Log cabin (for family, not modelling). I do keep have a browse every now and then and appreciation goes to you, the forum and everyone who posts. Many thanks. Matt

John Race

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, just paid subscription. I have never been in a forum but found everyone here really helpful and I’ve learnt loads. (Thanks everyone) although I won’t be getting much done in near future as works buisy, helping daughter get sorted for uni, putting foundations and building a garden Log cabin (for family, not modelling). I do keep have a browse every now and then and appreciation goes to you, the forum and everyone who posts. Many thanks. Matt
Good luck with all that Matt.
John .