Forum news

AlanG

JG300 'Wild Sau' Mad
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I probably got that £10 back last year through the 5% discount John offers in SMS :smiling3:

bobnv

If you take me serious, it's your own fault
SMF Supporter
Six feet away from everyone my wife loves it
First Name
Bob
I probably got that £10 back last year through the 5% discount John offers in SMS :smiling3:
Does that include 5% on shipping.......

Our local hobbies are closed so it is all online and the dealers over here are way too proud of their stuff plus just starting to get stocked up the timing sucks. 1/4 oz Testors enamel $5 plus shipping and for $7 I can get free shipping, such a deal I got for you...
Looked for an AK kit that Bobby Conkers recommended, said it sell for about $12, best deal I could find was $30 + shipping. So for me the $12 (we pay more in the colonies) is all about the value of the community and what can be gained from belonging to it. I hope John doesn't read all of these posts but from what I have learned in the short time I have been here, I would pay 20 ($24) and consider it a great deal.

topgazza

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Indeed Bob. John's prices are good anyway for us here at the head of the colonies. Add the 5% from each order plus the loyalty points and teh £10 is more than covered for me at least. I do buy some damaged box stock from a few suppliers but for new stuff its SMS all the way for me. I'd rather pay, on the odd buy, a tad more to keep the wheels turning and again with the discount it soon more than evens out.

bobnv

If you take me serious, it's your own fault
SMF Supporter
Six feet away from everyone my wife loves it
First Name
Bob
So I needn't have sold my kidney ? Damn, now you tell me
I've probably had the £10 back as well.
It's an absolute bargain @£10 for such a good website
BTW let me know, I can get you in touch with a friend, he owns We Be Kidneys, otherwise known as "you can't pee without me" can get you a good deal on a replacement. :hungry:

sootysue

Sooty sue
SMF Supporter
First Name
susan
I have been approached by a company wanting to buy the forum, they have offered me a good price, I’ve still not fully committed to selling it, I’ve had the forum for 15 years, and it’s not an easy thing to let go of.

I’ve always ran this as a free forum, although I’ve paid for everything myself and never asked for anything to help with the costs, but as the forum gets busier the costs increase, recently you have noticed the forum has gone done for short periods, that is due to the hosting not coping with the extra traffic, also I was asked for the forum to use a SSL, at the moment it’s a free one, but really that needs to be a proper one, then there is software license fees, it all mounts up.

The current adverts made me a whole 57p in the last 7 days, it doesn't come anywhere near covering the costs, so I'm going to add more adverts, but that doesn't mean that you will see them, I was thinking of making the forum subscription based, a small fee of £10 per year will help a lot with the running costs.

But you will also get a few more benefits, no adverts, large image storage, unlimited time to edit posts, I know that will please a lot of people, and other things yet to be decided.

The webserver does need upgrading, the current hosting is throwing errors on a regular basis

The forum isn’t part of SMS but that doesn’t stop me offering exclusive offers, the first one will be a 5% discount code of your next order, so that will go some way, to getting your subscription fee back, in fact you could get a lot more back depending on your order.

If you would like to help then it's easy to do so, in your profile tab there is a account upgrade option.

View attachment 337626
Hi john.
Thank you for letting me join your scale model forum. I have gladly payed via paypal the cost fee to join . Thank you.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Susan, I posted a welcome earlier and then realized you have been on the forum in the past. What I should have said is Welcome Back! Looking forward to seeing your postings. Cheers, Rick H.
ps Norfolk England or Norfolk Virginia?:smiling3:

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELCOME aboard Sue hope you enjoy this forum as the guys an gals are a great lot an will help you in any way they can an don't be shy to take part
jen an chris