France 1940

G

gehrig38

Been awhile and I miss the guys from the old site as well as looking at all your amazing creations. I'm giving it a go now and doing so in a rather different way. I have an enormous collection of unbuilt models. I've started to e-bay much of it but I also decided to take a large portion of early war stuff and create a large dio.
Thus France in 1940.
The basic premise is a recon unit on the road (233, 231 and a captured AMD35 with 5-8 Motorcycles) with a long column of soldiers marching alongside the road.
They're passing a destroyed building (not sure if Church or Barn) as well as a unit of soldiers resting. A SiG33 150, Krupp, Kubelwagen, HT mounted 88 all pulled off the road. 1-2 field kitchens. As well as a KO'd CHAR (which was the nicest kit I've assembled in YEARS) and 2 abandoned h39's.
Given my ADHD I'm basically working on about 13125 different parts of the dio at the same time to keep my interest. I don't have a photography degree and am not much of a picture taker not to mention everything is spread out throughout my hobby room so photos may not be the best. I'll get some pics to start the thread rolling and let you know where I am at the moment.

IMG_4060.JPGIMG_4059.JPGIMG_4061.JPGIMG_4062.JPGIMG_4066.JPGIMG_4063.JPGIMG_4065.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sounds absolutely awesome. Really looking forward to seeing your work. Good luck with the project

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Curtis, looks like a great project.. where are the seated figures from? I like the detail on them

D

Deleted member 6559

Wow, that's some ambitious project. This is going to be good.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Curtis, what will the overall dimensions be for the base? I think you have chosen something that will garner a lot of interest on the forum. Good luck and keep us posted. Rick H.

G

gehrig38

It has changed a few times. I have decided to remove the two H39s as the models are just horrible. They look terrible, the unwanted flash and other issues with the product are asking for far too much work to make them even presentable. I may use Tamiya's Somua instead. I gotta tell you guys I am TOTALLY blown away by the quality of Tamiyas new stuff. The AMD35 and the CHAR are two the nicest builds I've ever done

.IMG_4069.JPGIMG_4070.JPGIMG_4071.JPGIMG_4073.JPGIMG_4075.JPGIMG_4074.JPG

G

gehrig38

One more thing. What am I doing wrong with my pics? Is how I posted them ok? Why would the images be rotated from my computer to here? If there's another better way let me know please

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Count me in for this really looking forward to watching this come together.

D

Deleted member 5496

Good luck with this Curtis looks like an exciting project.

Finished an Afghanistan dioramaa & into now a Falklands diorama. What I like is you have a goal
& you can see it building bit by bit.

The figures are very good where did they come from ?

Laurie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm another in, sounds great.

G

gehrig38

Good luck with this Curtis looks like an exciting project.

Finished an Afghanistan dioramaa & into now a Falklands diorama. What I like is you have a goal
& you can see it building bit by bit.

The figures are very good where did they come from ?

Laurie
Laurie
Thanks! I've grown tired of looking at everyone else's fantastic work, critiquing, when I've never finished a big dio. I have plans for 2 others I've started (Tarawa, Stalingrad (Pavlov's House) but I am going to stick to this one.
The name of the figures escapes me this second but I'll find it. I can't remember the modeling mag but in the bag of it there are always new product announcements and these figures are always put to funny quotes. Got a bunch of updated pics inc.

IMG_4078.JPGIMG_4079.JPGIMG_4080.JPGIMG_4087.jpgIMG_4091.jpgIMG_4092.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Curtis.
Great line up there, and a nice finish using the putty for the camo.

G

gehrig38

This is the Somua with a first pass at the base coat. Odd camo scheme incoming!

Inside of the AMD35.

Ya, the cross on the engine deck was my first attempt at using masks, and I had my airbrush PSI WAY TOO high

The Recon symbol was also a mask painted on. Didn't come out as I'd like but I cleaned it up a bit.

So I am going to give the 222 the full works. Interior by tank workshop and PE from Eduard.

Here's the antagonist almost completed assembly wise. The Balkenkreuz are painted.

Wasn't sure what the last pic of the CHAR i posted looked like.

Going to start weathering soon which should SEVERELY tone this down :smiling3:

The motorcycles of the Recon unit. I also found 2 more kits tonight from Hobby Boss, both cycles and they're being added.

Attachments

• IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow...an epic dio Curtis. I'll grab a seat. Couldn't see some of the pictures on the figures that everyone is talking about as they seem unattached.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Curtis
Good progress on this huge project. Like Richard says some of the earlier photos are not showing.
Jim