Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for that Peter. It always amazes me the size of brushes they use on such fine detail.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Sounds interesting and I'm sure I'll find time to watch it given the current restrictions.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks for this Peter. Like Scottie, I'm amazed by the size of the brushes.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Must give this a watch today.....
As to brush sizes, I know what you mean, but I suppose it is the brush point that is most important..... Some of the really good miniature painters use number 8 sizes, even for small detail and fine lines.....the bristles are the same size as the figures they paint....
Personally I don’t go much above size 2 for fine work because I find the brushes fishtale or split in use, which kills accuracy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Guys...it's the art of the use and maintenance of the brushes. Don't use your painting brush for major mixing. Only pick up paint at the point of the tip or not more than two thirds way up the bristle. This stops the paint from collecting at the metal hold and hardening creating the fishtale or split. The fact that they use such large brushes is that it holds more paint for longer strokes. Nothing kills a brush tip than trying to eek out and press paint from a dried out brush. Use another brush for mixing. Clean the brush always right away and don't press down or leave in the jar.

Perhaps the other thing is it's probably a new set of brushes for every figure or stroke...who knows what happens behind the camera :tears-of-joy:

Ooh, yes, thanks for the link Peter.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Richard mate, I know all that, sometimes even adhere to it ;)
You should never put a dry brush into paint either......and always store them tip downwards so the residual moisture drains away from the ferrule.....last thing, Masters brush cleaner is the secret ingredient in the secret ingredient sauce....
I actually get about a year from brushes up to number 1 size, using them most days, but find anything bigger not really good enough from the get go....might be the brush range I use?