from scratch

P

panzer marsch

hi all, i'm starting a diorama, barbarossa, 42, autumn, thinking of a forward area, axis armour waiting area, 1/72 scale, (usual builds) seen a model for a command post, would like to base it around that, mixed armour p1v, pv, tiger1 etc, would like any ideas what to base the dio on, ground material, (earth from garden or buy in material?) also can i get drums, ammo boxes barbed wire etc in that scale or would i be better moving up a scale or 2? also would ruins, walls etc be helpful, or would open ground look better? any help gratefully recieved, thanx for reading!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi there. I don't know if the command post you've seen is the old Airfix one. If not, that's got to be worth a look as it has lots of extra bits and pieces such as coils of wire, boxes, drums etc. - there's even a bicycle if I remember correctly.

As for the ground itself, have a look around the dioramas on here, you'll find lots of useful information. There's one guy, Spanner570 (our Ron) who's particularly good at using ordinary garden type stuff, bits of brick and dust, moss, and bits of plants, to create some amazing scenery as background to his builds.

One thing you might want to consider is just how much you want to put on your dio. The best advice I got (from this forum) when I first tried one was to keep it simple. I wouldn't recommend trying something with a dozen vehicles and scores of figures. A couple of vehicles, one building/ruin and perhaps a half a dozen figures will create just a good a scene.

Gern

P

panzer marsch

hi gern, thanx for the reply, your'e spot on there, it is the airfix kit i was looking at, it was either that or the airfix battlefield set, but it seems more of a euro theatre with the sherman, the armour was just an idea i was throwing about for ideas, but thanx for the advice. , i'll check out spanner570, any advice would & is taken from experienced modellers with gratitude, thanx again tony