Frost proofing my paints, MacGyver style

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I mentioned in another topic that I came to the shed one morning to find my brush cleaning pot frozen solid

a563Xk4.jpg

Now whilst I haven't built up a large selection of paints yet I didn't want to lose the ones I already had, and clearly I'm making the assumption that freezing would damage them as it does with waterbourne acrylic car paint, so set about a solution.

First off I lined one of my plastic drawers with expanded polystyrene, and used some dividers I'd made previously.

0zvngbP.jpg

Then the actual chest got wrapped in foam too. Since this is a shed the only acceptable fixing method was, of course, black duct tape

U4dytjJ.jpg

I've moved my other acrylics paints over to these drawers as well. I also put my lacquer & oils in here, not that they need the protection, but it's keeps all the wet stuff together.

9i1qmuD.jpg

And safely tucked up for the night

5CWR99L.jpg

Also lined a cardboard box for the larger stuff that wouldn't fit in the drawers, like PVA, AB cleaner & thinners etc. This is before I had a big clean up and vacuumed the floor!

wLu7T2e.jpg

It's not pretty but it'll work, and only needs to see me through to the spring when I'll hopefully be knocking the new shed/workspace together, which will be properly insulated and have frost proof heating.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is before I had a big clean up and vacuumed the floor!

Andy,

Does you're wife know that you can use this complicated piece of household equipment?
and more seriously vacuuming the shed???? :surprised: :surprised:

Good idea insulating them - especially if you can't insulate the whole shed.

Paul.
:smiling:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good job sir, i also spray paint in a dusty cold garage so i bought the paints in to my modelling room, nice and warm lol

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Good job sir, i also spray paint in a dusty cold garage so i bought the paints in to my modelling room, nice and warm lol
I also do it like that! :tongue-out3:

Nice work Andy, I hope it will work fine this winter :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers guys.

Andy,

Does you're wife know that you can use this complicated piece of household equipment?
and more seriously vacuuming the shed???? :surprised: :surprised:

It's what the Yanks would call a shop vac. It used to be connected to my router table as dust extraction, so would never be allowed near the house. I'm not allowed near the house vac as I killed our last Dyson by trying to suck up brick and plaster dust :smiling5:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I just wish I had a separate space to do my modelling in.....,

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Cheers guys.

It's what the Yanks would call a shop vac. It used to be connected to my router table as dust extraction, so would never be allowed near the house. I'm not allowed near the house vac as I killed our last Dyson by trying to suck up brick and plaster dust :smiling5:
My son (when he was a toddler) loved to use our dyson, mainly the hose attachment. Until one day he suck all the water from the dog bowl up! Surprisingly after I dried it out it work fine for a few weeks before the motor started smoking :smiling5:
It was still under warranty and Dyson sent round a chap, who put a new motor in, no questions asked :thumb2:

Andy, it’s a shame you dont live nearby as I work at a place that makes expanded polystyrene boxes and lids (amongst other stuff). We recycle 5 or 6 tons, yes tons, of rejects and returns a week!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

Wow, I'd have to buy another shed just to store some of that in Si lol. I'm a bit of a hoarder. 5 or 6 tons of foam must be a huge volume! :surprised:

D

Deleted member 7181

As a consequence of moving my paints I ended up with a bit of storage space in the white drawers under my bench. This allowed me to finally move some tools & stuff off the bench top (the only place I've had to put them until now). This means a (slightly) tidier work area!

XiTm0ZT.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I used to have an old refrigerator in the shed that I kept household paints in. Worked quite well. Not plugged in I hasten to add. Shelves, nice big door, insulated.
I put a plastic bottle with water in inside. Even over a very cold and snowy winter. the water never froze.

D

Deleted member 7181

Good idea Ian. Like you say, an insulated cupboard, ideal.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Density is apparently between 11 and 32 kg/m³, so 5 tonnes would be between ca. 150 and 450 m³. Yes, I think that needs a shed or two to store :smiling3:

I snapped a picture of one of our recycle storage areas this morning to give you some perspective of the volumes.

5BB4398C-078B-4D2F-921A-7FE60F18924F.jpeg

Dependant on grade, the raw material can cost up to £3000 a ton so recycling isn’t just ecologically friendly but financially beneficial

D

Deleted member 7181

Ooh I'd love a good rummage through that lot lol

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
You could build more than a couple of sheds out of that lot Andy!

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice, bright work space Andy. I like the way you’ve coloured the tops of the Vallejo bottles too to iindicate the colour!
Just a thought but is it possible to insulate the entire shed? Could you board some insulation in between the studwork?
Cheers
Paul